Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbootable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steegs

Steegs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic469322.html/page__p__2850472#entry2850472 - Hamluis.

Hi,
First time brand new etc.
I think I'm having a similar problem with my sisters Acer netbook.

I cannot boot into windows in any mode, but can run off my Linux Mint Live USB.

I managed to turn off Auto reboot, so below is the main error components.
I'd love some help here too!

Thanks, Steegs.

===============================================
STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive{file}:
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

================================================

It may be because it only has 1GB of RAM, but I didn't see any pause of actually checking the RAM either....

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2012 - 05:54 AM.
Added to Unbootable list, PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software software.old
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

NOTE: All software installed prior to the creation of the above backup file will need to be reinstalled.

EDITED to correct software hive info.

Edited by Allan, 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would suggest to run chkdsk /r at the command prompt if replacing the software backup doesnt work

Edited by narenxp, 25 September 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Sorry, I originally posted "software" and there was a formatting issue with the post. When I edited it I copied the wrong data. Thanks for the correction - I have edited my post to read correctly.

Edited by Allan, 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hello Steegs,

As Allan indicates, that error message points to corruption of the Windows registry.

(1.) Since you have Mint Linux on USB up and running, I would recommend that you first back-up any files that are important to your sister, just to be on the safe side. (Note: There is no guarantee that this method will work with the Acer netbook.)

(2.) It will be easier to attempt registry recovery in the Linux environment. I also recommend that you replace more than just the Software key when performing the repair as explained below.
  • Please boot the netbook with the Linux USB drive.
  • After the Linux Desktop loads, open Dolphin File manager (icon in Taskbar). Right mouse click in the white pane, select Create New --> Folder--> Name (suggestion: RegBack).
  • Next, click on the the Acer hard drive in the left column. It should contain the Windows folder.
  • Double click on the System Volume Information folder.
  • There should be a folder named _restore{sequence of alpha-numeric numbers}. Double click on this folder to open it.
  • You should see multiple RPx folders (RP1, RP2, .....RP23, etc.). Each RP folder contains a system restore point. The higher the number, the newer ( more recent) the restore point.
  • If you move the mouse pointer over the RPx file, you should see the date that the restore point was created. Select an RPx folder just before the computer problem started.
  • Double click on that RPx folder, then double click on the snapshot folder. There will be multiple files present. Please note the following:
  • _Registry_Machine_Sam
  • _Registry_Machine_Security
  • _Registry_Machine_Software
  • _Registry_Machine_System
  • _Registry_User_.Default
[/list]
  • Hover the mouse pointer over each of the above files and make sure that the size of each file does not equal 0. All five files should contain data. Should any of the files sizes equal 0, you will need to choose another restore point.
  • Highlight the five files, right mouse click, and select copy, next using the blue Back arrow in the top, left Menu, arrow back to the RegBack folder and paste the copied files into the RegBack folder.
  • Now, rename the files in the RegBack folder as shown below:
  • _Registry_Machine_Sam =========> Sam
  • _Registry_Machine_Security ======> Security
  • _Registry_Machine_Software =====> Software
  • _Registry_Machine_System =======> System
  • _Registry_User_.Default ==========> Default (make sure there is no period (.) in front of the "renamed" Default)
[/list]
  • Highlight the five renamed files, right mouse click, and select copy, then select Hard Drive in the left column and navigate to:
  • C:\Windows\System32\Config <=== This folder
  • To confirm that you are in the correct folder, verify that SAM, Security, Software, System, and Default files exist.
[/list]
  • Right mouse click on the white pane of the Config folder and click paste to overwrite the original (corrupted) five files.
  • Close the Dolphine File Manager.
  • Restart the netbook to see if it boots into normal Windows.
  • Let us know if successful.

Edited by Artrooks, 25 September 2012 - 12:01 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just one comment about the above post. Since most hive backups are created during installation, in my opinion you should only perform the recommend action(s) on the hive in question - in this case the "software" hive. Otherwise the entire registry will most likely revert newly installed state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users