Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless reboot cycle on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Dear PC repair experts,

A very dear aunt passed away this summer, and her daughters have asked me to try and retrieve her photos and other documents from her PC. The problem is, I've turned it on, but it is stuck in an endless reboot cycle. I see the Windows 2000 Pro NT start up screen, but before the "starting up" status bar makes it all the way to complete, the PC automatically reboots! It never makes it past the Windows screen. I've tried starting in Safe Mode, but no luck.

It's a Compaq Deskpro EN running Windows 2000 professional, according to the service tag and startup screen.

Any advice/insight would be very greatly appreciated! We really want to get her personal info off this PC--there are tons of pictures of grandchildren and other family on there that we really don't want to lose.

Thanks so much,
Kara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hi Kara,

It looks like the hard drive is operational at least, it's trying to boot. My suggestion would be to remove the drive from the Compaq and connect it to another computer. The easiest way to do this is to invest in a USB external hard drive enclosure. You do not want a external hard drive, you want a empty enclosure. These can be purchased from computer/electronics retailers. Due to the age of the PC you will most likely have a hard drive with a IDE interface. It is important the enclosure you purchase will interface with the hard drive.

The USB enclosure will allow you to connect the drive to a working PC and browse the drive for the files and save them to something like a CD or DVD to pass along.

Phoenix102

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Another route you can take is to use a USE to IDE/Serial ATA Drive Adapter that you can buy at a Walmart Store or a local computer store like the one listed HERE

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Firefoxthebomb, I think that adapter is exactly what I need. Simple, affordable and I don't have to worry about making sure I get the right size for the drive. That was part of my concern is I don't know if it's a 2.5" or 3.5" drive....Either way, both of these suggestions are much better than the $60 item the guy at Best Buy told me I needed. Or, I could spring for $80 to have the Geek Squad get the pics off for me. I'm going to order the adapter from Walmart and give that a shot! Thank you both for your suggestions! I'll let you know how it goes!

Kara

#5 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Your quite welcome, we were glad to be of service....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#6 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

When using the interface firefoxthebomb reccomended be careful what you set the hard drive on. Be sure it is not metal or conductive because the drive circuit board will be exposed. I have personally ruined a drive by letting the bottom circuit board touch the case by accident. Once the board is fried it is a costly trip to the data recovery pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users