Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MultiBoot system won't resume from standby

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Superneato

Superneato

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have a multiboot setup that seems to be running fine except when I use the standby function while running in Windows XP Professional SP3.

I have 2 physical disks: sda (HDD with WinXP Pro as primary partition, Ubuntu on second partition) and sdb (SDD with Win7 on the only partition) both connected using SATA AHCI.

I'm using Boot-US as my bootmanager (currently it runs from a floppy disk as I didn't want to overwrite my MBR just yet) so that I can boot from my 3 different operating systems.

Before I added the second disk with fresh install of Windows7, I used GRUB to choose between WinXP and Ubuntu at boot time. If I don't use Boot-US (floppy disk), I can boot into Windows XP using GRUB. Regardless of bootmanager used, the standby issue is present.

Everything seems to be working fine, except when I put the machine into standby while running in WinXP; then the machine will not resume successfully. Fans spin, lights illuminate, and even the monitor senses signal (powers on but stays black), but nothing is displayed and the keyboard inputs are not recognized. My only option is a hard reboot.

If I disconnect my SDD drive from the motherboard, standby and resume works fine in WinXP. How can I get this setup to work with both drives connected?? It seems the motherboard or Windows XP won't tolerate the presence of a second boot drive during the resume process. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users