Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean re-install, which way should I go?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Clean re-install, which way should I go?

I have a 7 yr old HP laptop that needs a clean OS re-install. It came with Win XP Pro on the computer (not on a disk). I also have a stand-alone copy of XP Pro that I purchased when I had a desktop custom made a couple years later. That desktop has since been upgraded to Win 7 with a new OS (not an upgrade). I have the disk. I am the legal owner of both.

This particular laptop is not super critical (I have a newer one with Win 7), but I would like to get it back running and stable again. Would it be better to use the copy that came with the laptop, or would it be better to use my other stand-alone copy for the re-install?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi,
You said

It came with Win XP Pro on the computer (not on a disk). I also have a stand-alone copy of XP Pro that I purchased when I had a desktop custom made a couple years later.

then you said

Would it be better to use the copy that came with the laptop, or would it be better to use my other stand-alone copy for the re-install?

I'm confused Do you mean there is a disk for the HP laptop or ?
If you mean a recovery partition that would in theory put the laptop back to the way you bought it.
The Retail copy you bought if used would require you to go to HP and download all the drivers.
If you decide to go that route. I would look for a SWSetup folder on the C:, either as C:\SWSetup or maybe undewr a HP named folder. If you find that one and copy it, it should have all the drivers and software that came with the computer ready to use in a clean install. Just scan it first with your antivirus for safety. Don't forget to back up anything you do not want to lose.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 September 2012 - 12:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Would it be better to use the copy that came with the laptop, or would it be better to use my other stand-alone copy for the re-install?

Thanks.

You haven't told us what came with the laptop. If it is a full XP SP3 cd, then it doesn't matter which you use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users