Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC temporarily freezes on mouse click or keyboard input

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lastmboy

lastmboy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

I have an older dual core Windows 7 pc that I have been using as a file server. It worked fine until recently, when it started having little "freeze attacks". In Windows Explorer, when I would click on a file or folder, it would freeze up for a few seconds, then free up. If I then clicked on the folder again, it would highlight. When I would click on a different folder, it would freeze up again for a few seconds, then free up and allow me to click the folder. When frozen, the mouse pointer would still move around, but clicking on anything had no response. I should also point out that when I re-booted it, it would freeze at the Windows logo (all motion would stop) for several minutes, then would continue booting into Windows.

I wasn't sure if this was Windows 7, hard drive, or other hardware issue, but I have a faster pc to take over the file server role, so thought I would re-build it and see if that solved the problem. I formatted a different hard drive, and installed Windows 7 on it from scratch. However, at the end of the install, when it re-booted to start into windows, it froze at the windows logo (logo stopped moving). I waited for 2 or 3 minutes, but nothing happened. I left it for a while and came back to discover that it was at the screen prompting for new user name, etc. I tried to continue, but when I type about 2 characters, it will freeze for 15 or 20 seconds. Then I can type two more characters, and it will freeze again. I can't even get the thing fully into windows with all the freezes.

I guess it's now obvious that this is not a Windows issue. I imagine it could be one of many different hardware issues. Do you have any suggestions as to how to approach the problem? e.g. swap out RAM, remove all non-essential devices, etc.? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users