Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV as monitor > Connections?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FRISC0

FRISC0

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hey there,

I hope this is the right section, I'll try explain best I can.

I want to use a TV as a monitor but I'm unsure if my PC will do it, which cable I need for it & If the TV will do it.

This is connection in the back of my PC. I currently have a monitor plugged in as you can see but I have a free port for another screen (hopefully the TV!)
Posted Image

...and this is the connection on the back of the TV. (I also have 1 HDMI port I could use, just unplug the Virgin Media box when I'm not using it...)
Posted Image

Any help is appreciated. I Just wanted to know what I need and If someone could give me an example/link to purchase one.

I did try a friends cable before (it was HDMI) but I couldn't get it to work, do I have the correct stuff in my PC to be able to use it?
Thanks!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hi FRISC0,

I have set up a few TVs as a second monitor, and I think there is an easy solution for you, check out the link from Best Buy below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B---DVI-to-VGA-Adapter/7960986.p?id=1153336299169&skuId=7960986

I have tried this type of converter with PCs and monitors, but not TVs before, however I think it will work for you no problem. Make sure you have the latest video card drivers for that NVidia card too, some of the older drivers do not support some of the wide screen resolutions you need to see a good picture.

Another fun trick for the audio is to use a RCA to 3.5mm Stereo Adapter, so you can use the headphone out jack to connect to your TV Audio:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07R08D1758&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I use a setup like this to play the computer sound over my stereo, works great!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi,
The Adapter that whoabuddy linked should work for video. You could also use a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. Either one should work. The DVI to HDMI will require you to set your video to supported resolutions 1080i, 720p.

If you want audio you will need to get a cable that has the same plug on both ends, 3.5mm stereo. Run it between the audio out on the computer and the audio in next to the Blue VGA on the TV.

Referring back to your Display Settings image, You need to click on Monitor 2, set the resolution to what your TV sets manual suggests, and decide Do you want to extend your desktop to it or do you want both displays to show the same thing, (Clone or mirror) or not. At the present time Monitor 2 shows as inactive.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 September 2012 - 09:40 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

If you want audio you will need to get a cable that has the same plug on both ends, 3.5mm stereo.

Good call! I thought that was a digital input when I glanced at it, and they sell VGA cables with the 3.5mm audio as well:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3430&sku=40147

Best Regards,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#5 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks guys! Awesome replies.

I do live in the UK so I'll re-search this with UK based results :)

I do have another question though....

If I plug in my Stereo system jack (which is currently plugged into my computer; HI-FI > PC)
and purchased that cable you suggested and plugged it into my TV and extend my screen...
does this mean I can only get sound when something is dragged over to the TV screen rather than my PC monitor screen or will it do both? Like if I had iTunes open on the monitor, to get sound do I have to have iTunes on the TV monitor? If so... does that mean I need to get a cable so I can have sound through both?
Sorry I don't know if this is a silly question or not.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

If you extend the desktop, then you only have one desktop that has 1/2 on each display. The computer only has one sound device so sound from any display hooked up to is heard through the speakers connection no matter what screen it is on.

Hope I'm clear enough.
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Ahh so my current audio will be fine?

I just wondered someone was telling me before that I wouldn't get any audio on the TV if I linked up the TV monitor but I guess they were wrong?

Cheers for all your help guys

EDIT: Just realised that would be if I used the PC input, right? Whereas HDMI does sound & vision. So I guess I don't need to worry about audio at all?

Also sorry one last thing, which cable is it I need, VGA > HDMI with the DVI > VGA cable adaptor for my pc :) ?

Edited by FRISC0, 24 September 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Well yes and no, HDMI Does carry video and Sound, However only if the source is also HDMI. If you get to HDMI with a DVI to HDMI there will be no Audio since DVI does not carry audio.

It look like you could use a DVI to VGA adapter and then a VGA to the VGA cable to the VGA computer input on the TV or
DVI to HDMI adapter and then a HDMI to HDMI cable to a HDMI port on the TV set.
Either one will require a audio cable to your stereo or the TV for sound. The HDMI may not have a matching audio input either since they expect the HDMI to have audio on it.

Clear??
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

So if I manage to get it all linked up, even with an audio cable, it might not produce the audio?

Is there a way to find out? I always assumed because my PC was 6 years old it didn't even have the capability to let me do duel-screen but I guess I'm incorrect.

#10 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

It all depends on the connections! :) They make several different types of cables and converters.

If you are happy with the way the sound on your PC currently works, then no changes need to be made if you go with the DVI to VGA adapter on the PC, and VGA to VGA cord to the TV. This will just send a second video signal, that you can manage as a second monitor, and as Roger said it can be a clone of your current screen or an extra (extended) desktop.

If you would like to connect the line out (or headphone jack) of the PC to the TV so that the PC sound is played over the TV speakers (and any surround you might have), you can get a 3.5mm audio cable (headphone jack) to run from your PC line out to the TV's line-in.

Sorry if I caused any confusion!

Thank you,
whoabuddy
Proud member of UNITE

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

No what I'm saying is you will need to run a audio cable to the stereo or the Correct Audio In on the TV, HDMI can not carry audio from the computer to the TV.
See above where I said

Either one will require a audio cable to your stereo or the TV for sound.

Your display settings image shows dual monitor support.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 September 2012 - 12:28 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#12 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Okay thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing these will be fine then :) ?
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20710162/Trixes-VGA-Male-To-Male-5-Metre-Cable-For-PC-Laptop-To-TFT-Monitor-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchstring=vga+vga&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/27300354/VGA-To-DVI-Monitor-LCD-TFT-Display-Adapter-Converter-Gold-Plated/Product.html?searchstring=dvi+vga&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

That is a fairly long cable, 5 meters (Metre) 16 or 17 foot long . However if it is good quality shielded it should work. And that looks like the adapter you need to go to the VGA cable. Just remember to look up what resolutions your TV set supports and set the Computer output to match. Mine for example on VGA supports several resolutions up to 1366 by 768. That being the native resolution of the TV LCD panel.

That second output will not auto come alive. With the TV set hooked up and on that input in display settings click on the Monitor 2 and enable, set resolution and decide whether to extend or clone the existing desktop etc.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks, I'll purchase the cables and see how I get on. I will update you on this post how I get on :)

#15 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Works perfectly! Thankyou!

Had to change settings to 60hz and the Screen resolution needed to be changed before I plugged in the TV

other than that, perfect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users