Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant CPU LED / No Signal / No Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Staffordz

Staffordz

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

I built my computer November of last year and have had no problems up until now from an incident a couple days back. While my computer was powered up - at a lan - situated on the floor - a friend of mine accidently knocked the power cable out with his foot and then plugged it half way in while slightly wobbling the cable around... I turned my computer on and was met with no signal from the monitor. I then checked the cables, pushed the power cable all the way in and attempted to boot it back up to be met with no signal once more. After a little investigation, i noticed that there was a red light emanating from inside.. i cracked the case open and discovered that it was the cpu led on constant.

My specs are as follows

Case - NZXT Phantom
Mobo - Asus Sabertooth p67
Pro - Intel i5 2500k (No OC)
Ram - Corsair 2x4gb vengeance ddr3 1600mhz
Gfx - Nvidia KFA2 560ti EX OC
Snd - Auzen X-Meridian 7.1
Psu - OCZGXS600 @ 580W

Here is a video of what happens when i turn it on - Youtube Video

When the power cable is plugged in (not turned on)the stand-by light is green.
When i power it up, the graphics + sound cards light up & spin there fans and i can hear the hard drives working. The case fans also work and sound like they are at the correct RPM.. the biggest fan you can see to the right actually stopped working a few months back, unrelated i suppose, i've been meaning to replace it.
It sounds as if it is booting up normally except that it doesn't produce the standard, A-OK beep from the motherboard shortly after starting. Normally on bootup it beeps once while cycling through each led - making them flash a few times one after the other before stopping. Now i'm not hearing any beeps at all and it is switching from the dram led to cpu led lightning fast and staying on cpu led constantly until i power it down.
Also, in the video - my computer does something for the first time, it turns itself on, then off and then back on after the power button has been pressed. This has not happened before but is continuing to happen everytime i start it up now.

I have disconnected sata cables for hard drives and taken out the ram, trying to run it with 1 stick, also swapped them around.

I have not heard any pops, seen any flashes or smelled anything burning and i had my head inside the computer as soon as i realized something was wrong.

Unfortunately that is all i have to go on seen as it won't even fire a signal to the monitor.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated guys, if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be, please do share. I really need a plan of action as i am feeling pretty helpless just now. Thank you for your time.

Small update: I reset the CMOS Jumper (My first time doing such). When i booted it back up, for the first time since before that video was recorded the computer did not actually turn itself off and back on again while attempting to boot.. I suppose that is a good development?

I also tried the MemOK button, it turned my computer on and off a few times but i don't think it helped. Still sitting with a red cpu led.

Edited by Staffordz, 24 September 2012 - 08:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Check the 4/8 pin power connector for the CPU from the PSU. It may have been knocked loose when your system was being moved around or when it was kicked.

It would create your problems.

Also, check the tiny wire that connects to your motherboard called the reset switch. Might be labeled "Reset SW". It is grouped near the same small connectors as the LED light wires(usually one wire, connects to a small metal post on the motherboard). If that has shorted, it will cause an endless reboot.

Check the power supply 110/220 switch, make sure it is on the correct voltage. I have seen people's fingers move that switch while they pick up the computer tower.

I believe clearing the CMOS jumper and removing the mobo battery both do the same thing..but you could try removing the battery to clear the BIOs.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the taking the time dude. I'm going to get straight onto those suggestions. I'm not familiar with the specifics that you have mentioned but i will vigorously google and scan the manual until i do! I'll get back with an update soon. Once again thanks a bunch, i've been refreshing this thread for about 7 hours haha.

#4 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well, thats me finally finished identifying and checking all the mentioned connections and switches and i can't say that i found anything that was out of place. Also, at the suggestion of an associate that knows way more about these things than me - i have started to check the capacitors to see if any of them had 'popped'. All the ones i can see look fine to me. I'm going to get some sleep now but tomorrow i will attempt to take the thermal shield off the motherboard and have a look for any more. I'm also going to be on the hunt for the Bios reset button that i was assured was different from the cmos business? oh, also i might try my hand at reseating the cpu but i'm quite nervous due to never having done it before (my friend took care of that part during the build).

One thing i just remembered that may worth mentioning - right after i built my computer i ran into the same problem - cpu led, didnt boot.. i managed to fix it by messing around and plugging the sata into a different plug, i wish it was that simple this time around.

sighh, bed time for me. any other suggestions please do share as i would love to hear them. i'm dreading having to rma any parts and having to wait weeks for replacement/repair =/

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well, my next suggestion would be what your planning to do already. Remove the CPU, look for bent pins on the cpu. The heatsink/cpu backplate my have caused a short.

I can only think of one other thing, your BIOs being messed up, or out of date.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

Well i had a look at the cpu and likewise everything seems to be in order, i cannot see any damage to the socket or the back of the cpu itself.

Regarding the BIOS, i have never flashed/updated it but the computer was running perfectly for like the 10 months beforehand.. only change in circumstances was the power cable being knocked out. I don't think that there is a bios reset buton unless it is hidden under the thermal shielding.

Another development.. i took out the rest of the ram and powered the computer to see if it would give me any type of warning beep at all.. it didn't.. i have rechecked the mobo speaker connection etc because that is with the switches and grounds mentioned earlier. What could that mean?

Also, i have just pulled a 480 watt power supply from my old computer, contemplating hooking it up to see if there is any difference.. i know it won't really be able to power my computer but i don't have any pci devices plugged in.. any thoughts?

Oh, and the mobo is slightly loose in one corner but i don't think it is shorting on the case..

Ohhh and and, when i move the jumper and then reset it.. the next time that i turn the computer on it doesn't turn itself off and on again during post..

fml

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

RAM is checked during POST, and it seemed you are not able to get that far. I am not sure I can help you much more, anything I could say would be wild guesses.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

No problem buddy, thanks for your time anyway. I've decided to RMA the motherboard. I should be refunded by Amazon. At-least some good has come out of this, i'll buy a better mobo for same amount! All hail Moores Law.

#9 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Did you try replacing the power supply?

#10 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Nope. The only spare one i had, a really old 480watt didn't have the aquedate connections to power the CPU.

What i did do however was test the current power supply in an old computer and it still worked.

I created a new thread regarding a different problem here > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic469976.html - if you feel like offering any more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users