Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My First Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbriders03

bbriders03

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Well I've always wanted to build my own Desktop and now I'm going to, but I'm kind of nervous about it and wanted some input from people more knowledgeable than me. I will be using the computer for gaming and possibly some AUTOCAD and related programs. I wouldn't consider my gaming to be real intense, but I want to enjoy the gaming I do. I mean I don't have any of the latest games. I do want the system to last for awhile.
Here is what I've picked out. I've pretty much just chosen everything from Tigerdirect.com.
Apeiva X-plorer2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 9-seris Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Ultra LSP 750 PSU
MSI GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair Vengeance RAM 2x4 GB
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Hard Drive
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
Lite On 12x Blu-Ray Drive
D-Link DWA-556 Wireless Card

It comes to a total of $900. This is a litte higher that I was hoping for as far as the budget goes. I was hoping for $800 to $900 all said and done with Operating System and Monitor. I've kinda deceided that it will probably be a little for than what I wanted to pay but that's okay. But I don't really don't want to spend more than $1200. I guess my main question is about the motherboard and processor. Will I be happy with it? Is there something better for the money? I guess I'm a little partial to the AMD processor just because that is what I've had in the past and have been happy. Same thing with the Nvidia Video Card.
I would be interested in any suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Intel Core i5-3570K ($219 Amazon)
ASUS P8Z77-V (N82E16813131820) ($190 Newegg) Built in Wi-Fi
Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 2X4gig RAM ($44 amazon) My new favorite RAM. Low profile, low voltage, no silly heatsinks. That being said, not a thing wrong with your choice.

CPU will be the price buster, as it is considerably more expensive than the AMD choice you have. If I wanted this system to stay viable for a longer time, I would go Intel at this point. I was glancing at game reviews last week, and there were comparisons between the latest Intel and AMD offerings, and AMD performance was was not happy.

The motherboard has built in WIFI, so you save on that. Do you really need to spend money on a separate sound card? That is two places you can save money.

Power supply- Ultra power supplies range from mediocre to really bad depending on the OEM. Not saying your choice is a problem, but try to find some info or reviews on it. I couldn't.

Good luck on your build. Gotta get Jr ready for school now.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 bbriders03

bbriders03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

From the research I have been doing in the last week or so I've been kind of leaning towards going with the Intel I5. I had been thinking I didn't really need the sound card but I added here just because that was my initial thought. I had thought about skipping on the Blu-ray drive and just putting in a DVD/CD drive to save some money, but I haven't really deceided yet. Thanks for the advice. Any other thoughts from anyone would appreciated.

#4 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

From the research I have been doing in the last week or so I've been kind of leaning towards going with the Intel I5. I had been thinking I didn't really need the sound card but I added here just because that was my initial thought. I had thought about skipping on the Blu-ray drive and just putting in a DVD/CD drive to save some money, but I haven't really deceided yet. Thanks for the advice. Any other thoughts from anyone would appreciated.

Hey bro, i Have just completed a build myself and my advice would be not to rush into anything and take your time. Even if you are on a budget, i would put the power supply and cpu with motherboard on top of my list. The rest can be added slowly if you choose too. If these 3 products are of decent quality( and i dont mean over expensive) then you have a good foundation for adding ram and opical drives and ssd when you can get more cash together. I personally would go without for a while just to get the machine i WANT even if i had to save a little i would. Its just a thought. I agree with your logic on the sound card as it corresponds with what i am saying here about waiting a little until your wallet has some more cash in it. If you take your time then building it yourself is justifiable as opposed to buying one already built. Either way has benefits. I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users