Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct TV DVR network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

What are the possibilities of a Directv DVR network getting compromised through a Verizon Mi-Fi wireless network or vise-versa?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Next to impossible.

By DVR network, I assume you mean sharing DVR content over your network - which would require you to need a special program or at the very least, it's IP address inside your network. Only people already connected to your local WiFi network could even see or connect to the DVR.

If you mean, someone hacking into your DVR from OUTSIDE of your network (on the internet) then it is impossible. No one is going to attempt to hack a DVR, not to mention they wouldn't know it was even there. Also, I don't know what operating system DirecTV uses but assuming it's a custom Linux build, it means it can't be infected.

Edited by NpaMA, 23 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

What about setting up a server in it after compromising my wireless network?

Edited by bwrighttwo, 23 September 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I don't think it can be done.

However the DirecTV experts are here DIRECTV Products and Services on www.dbstalk.com and I've never seen even a whisper of what you describe happening.

Many, many DirecTV and Dishnetwork HD DVRs are hooked up to the Internet for downloading videos from the providers servers. And I reiterate I've never heard even a whisper of them getting compromised.

What makes you ask? They do not network like a computer does. The Remotes and DVRs in RF mode could be have someone else in an adjacent apartment for example interfering. By That when they do things on their box yours could respond too if in range. One reason I stay in IR only mode.

Hope this helps allay your fears
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users