Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse/monitor and keyboard no power..sometimes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millse72

millse72

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

So I have a standard gateway gt5622, nothing special done, just use it for web browsing/music. Recently my dogs where playing near the tower and knocked it over, this is when my problems started.

Typically the first time I power the computer up, the fans will kick on and lights on the tower work, but keyboard, mouse, and monitor (no picture) do not work. So I have to do a hard restart until they power up, normally on second or third try. already used different keyboard/mouse and same thing. Fan seems to be extra loud since the accident, and they seem to be kicking on and off more frequently.

I took the case apart and clean up all the dust bunnies and looked for any loose wires ect. or anything that looked out of place, not too good with computers at all. But a friend of mine said it could be the mother board going out and said I should replace it. So with all that being said, what would a good upgrade from my current mother board? I already ordered more ram to expand it to 4gig so i really would like to use my computer to the fullest potential.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014733R/1014733Rsp2.shtml Info. about my computer, any help would be appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2012 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Have you tried using USB keyboard/mouse to rule out the possibility of a connector malfunction on the motherboard?

A good upgrade from what you have right now would be dumping out the board, processor, and RAM and starting over new. You can build a much MUCH better computer on a $200 budget using the existing hard drive, optical drive, and power supply. If you would like more detailed recommendations, I can provide some.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 millse72

millse72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Have you tried using USB keyboard/mouse to rule out the possibility of a connector malfunction on the motherboard?

A good upgrade from what you have right now would be dumping out the board, processor, and RAM and starting over new. You can build a much MUCH better computer on a $200 budget using the existing hard drive, optical drive, and power supply. If you would like more detailed recommendations, I can provide some.

yes any info. would be great and using as many parts as possible off the gateway would be ideal! I was looking at mother boards and they where very expensive so anything that would run faster/better for 200$ is perfect!!

oh and yes i used usb mouse/keyboard and used USB ports in the front instead of the rear (not even sure if that would make a difference)

Edited by millse72, 25 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Chances are you have caused some damage to the motherboard.

In the meanwhile, as promised, here are some suggestions:

CPU and Motherboard $129.99 Motherboard, AMD E350 Dual Core, Integrated graphics
DDR3 RAM $29.99 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series RAM
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#5 millse72

millse72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

so how would this AMD compare to my current intel 1.8 dual core with 3g of ram? just bought more so will be 4g's of ram in the next week and trying to update to new 64bit os this fall.

Thanks for the advice, I just have heard that intel has a slight edge over the amd, not sure if this is even true?

Thanks again

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Intel generally has better processors. What I was targeting in this suggestion was the newer DDR3 architecture and little things like USB 3.0 that can make a big difference. Whenever working on a tight budget I tend to go to AMD because they are generally less expensive.

I <3 Linux

#7 millse72

millse72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Intel generally has better processors. What I was targeting in this suggestion was the newer DDR3 architecture and little things like USB 3.0 that can make a big difference. Whenever working on a tight budget I tend to go to AMD because they are generally less expensive.

understood, so in your opinion with the setup you recommend, that would be faster then my current setup? and sorry for my lack of knowledge but what i gathered from my brief google search the ddr3 is substantially better/faster?

Thanks again for you advice, i have nothing against the AMD I am just repeating what I have know from a somewhat tech savvy friend, so just trying to grasp how much better the amd setup would be as compared to my intel. I am new to the whole computer upgrading but would love to switch it up and get something better.

also, the "ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo" can support up to 8g of ram, would this even be worth upgrade to his much RAM or is that just excessive?

the link you provided for the ram was really cheap (Guess that is one of the perks of ddr3) I just dropped 30$ on 2g of ddr2 :(

Edited by millse72, 26 September 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#8 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I had a few more minutes to look... this offer was in the same price range and you should see marked performance improvements over your current CPU.

AMD A6-3650

I <3 Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users