Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combox Fix Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 techrancher

techrancher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Greetings Fellow Tech Warriors~

I have the Scour redirect virus/trojan and I'm having problems when using Combofix on my new Win7 Dell laptop. After reading the available material, heeding all warnings and following all instructions to the letter I downloaded, installed and ran Combofix. After the reboot and watching the log file post, I noticed it quarantined a ton of known good apps, etc..I then noticed these same important/critical apps are no longer functioning, such as IE, Outlook, etc..forcing me to go back to a known good recovery point...where I still have this nasty little bug. I'm happy to run it again and post the logs/quarantine files but I'm willing to bet one of you brilliant folks have seen this issue before and may have a quick fix. Is there some other dependent program that is causing Combofix to behave this way? Is it a setting/switch within Combofix prior to running that needs to bet set? Do I have some really nasty version of Scour that this won't cure? Should I give up, kick the cat, grab an adult beverage and re-image? Kidding on the cat.

Many thanks,

TR

Edited by techrancher, 23 September 2012 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,747 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.
===

If you did not remove Combofix and you still have the C:\ComboFix.txt file please post the contents for my review.

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,747 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users