Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fails to Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 entrancetolight

entrancetolight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi Y'all,

I recently acquired a used computer and put the hard drive from my old one into the new one and it would freeze and at the Windows boot logo and then BSOD. The previous owner suggested that I get a new hard drive as the motherboard is having issues reading an already formatted hard drive. I decided to recover the bootloader by following these steps:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
Then ask it (nicely!) to try and rebuild your BCD data from scratch:

You will need to replace C:\ in the example below with the letter for your boot drive! It's most likely C:, but it could be something else!
attrib -h -s C:\boot\BCD

del C:\boot\BCD
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Now it takes me to the Windows Boot Manager and says that winload.exe (0xc0000428) Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.
And when I type bcdedit using a cmd from a recovery disc. I get this:

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by entrancetolight, 23 September 2012 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

You cannot take a hd with Windows installed from one computer, put it in a different computer, and expect it to work. You need to reinstall the OS.

#3 entrancetolight

entrancetolight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Alright. Thanks. That's what someone suggested too. I just wanted a third opinion. :)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. But you're very welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users