Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using factory recovery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I would like to use the factory recovery partition from one drive to restore to another. The drive with the Recovery partition is failing; I am thinking that I need to either clone the failing drive to the new drive and then perform the factory recovery, or make a backup image of the hidden partition (factory recovery partition) and then restore that to a partition on the new drive and then perform the factory recovery.. Any suggestions/insight/thoughts are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Have you tried to use the create recovery disc first? That is why in any failing drives, you would need to use that option of create recovery disc to be used for a new drive other than cloning or imaging your system to another drive in case these things happen. I don't think its possible to use a different recovery partition from another computer to a failing computer's hard drive.

Tekken

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think I wasn't clear.. The recovery partition is from the system I want to put the new drive in to.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 23 September 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

The drive with the Recovery partition is failing

This was my first thought that is why with recovery partitions, creating a set of recovery disc is the one OEM laptops have tried to promote other than the image or cloning method by 3rd party softwares. You may be able to clone the recovery partition but of which cloning software? Try http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/partition-copy.htm and see here if ever you encounter some problem http://eosrei.net/articles/2011/03/copy-functional-recovery-partition-new-hard-disk

Tekken

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

I have used Drive Image XML mainly for my backups, I am hoping to just make a back up of the hidden partition and then move it to the new drive, and perform the factory recovery from that. Or I suppose that maybe I could use a UBCD4Win disc and clone the entire disc to the new one, then do the factory recovery..

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

There was never a documentation pertaining mainly to clone/image a recovery partition. It was mainly for a healthy system partition or drive intact along with the installed softwares and files. But looking online, there may be a chance that it would work or not. If you were able to cloned the partition to the new hard drive with certain stumbling blocks or errors, please do update us. I don't think UBCD would help if you would be able to clone a do a repair from there...

Tekken

#7 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:46 AM

Well if it can be done, it wasn't by me at this time. I used Easus Partition Master to copy the Recovery partition to new hard drive even put it at the end like the original. Set it to hidden/primary, and named it the same. That did not work. So I copied the 'system' partition to new drive put it at the beginning like the old one, and set it to primary/active, named it the same. That did not work. I attempted to recover using the Windows 7 disc, and it could not find an image (although I think it was looking for an actual iso???). So at this point I have decided to just reinstall OS (win7 hp 64bit)....I am curious though, what if I cloned the whole drive, I know there would be system error, and windows would record bad sectors in the MFT???, but then could I not just do a few chkdsk with repairs??? Just asking. My goal is/was to have all the software it came with originally cause I know she used some of it, like MS Office 2010 starter. Again any guidance/suggestions is much appreciated!!!

Scott

#8 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

Like jhayz already mentioned above, have you tried creating recovery discs first? That seems like the best option. Most manufacturers allow you to create one set of recovery cds or dvds. You can then boot from these discs once the new hard drive is installed and restore to factory condition.

The only thing I am not sure of is if you use recovery media if they would create a recovery partition on the new drive. That may be the only advantage of cloning the original hard drive to the new drive. I have always used Acronis True Image recovery media (not free, although there is a free trial) to clone entire hard drives. I can't say for certain, but I can't find any reason why the recovery partition on the cloned drive wouldn't work. It should work just fine.

Edit: It looks like Easeus does offer a free disk cloning tool here that may be worth a try. I have never used this particular software.

Edited by Textbook, 26 September 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#9 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

I/she did not make recovery disc's. At this point I did not consider it due to the condition of the hard drive (failing). I have used Acronis in the past and ran into a conflict with VSS and the backup software the client used (Carbonite as I recall).. Anyway since then I've always used DriveImageXML, and it has worked nicely for me. I did try just doing a factory recovery on the original disc and after a couple of boots it would start having issues, I'm guessing due to bad sectors and missing/corrupt system files. This is something I've wanted to try and I guess at this point I'll have to do it on a test machine and who knows maybe it just can't be done, but that is why "we" are suppose to make backups/recovery discs. I've since just reinstalled Windows, so now it is just updating and she'll have to do without some of the software that came with it.. One good thing is it won't have all the "Crap-ware" on it this time...lol... I appreciate everyone who offered input.. I'll continue to look into this and post back if I find it can/cannot be done!!

Thanks,
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users