Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Windows 7 desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AuntLori

AuntLori

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hello,

This week, we added a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 to our network. Our server is the same desktop with Windows 7, but all of the other workstations are Windows XP. The problem is that the XP workstations lose their network connection and the network map shows only the two Windows 7 machines. After disconnecting the new Windows 7 machine from the network, rebooting the server, then "re-sharing" folders everything is working again. Then I reconnect my new W7 and everything is fine.

I'm guessing it may be something very obvious that I am missing. Also, not sure which on of the steps to fix the problem is the one that actually worked, but I'd like to prevent it from happening again.

Any help is so appreciated. Also any suggestion on a book or website that I could read to be up to speed on Windows 7 networking.

Thanks so much!
lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

here is some basic info i have. you may get something out of it
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4E2700E037BA81EB!618