Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

games shutdown after 5 seconds in fullscreen mode.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hddoutside

hddoutside

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

every time i play a game in full-screen at 1920x1080 res the game shuts down. i downloaded the trial for aida64 and did a stress test. after 17 seconds it auto shuts off due to hardware failure. when looking the the statistics it says my voltage is over. heres 2 pics.

Help!!!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Please post your system parts (including your case) and the games you're trying to run. Also, you should download speedfan and see what your idle temp is, and then maybe try to run the game and see what your max temp jumps to (mouse over the temperature to see min/max/avg). When was the last time you dusted out your system?

Your CPU hit 100% usage for a spell there. You probably shouldn't run any more stress tests for the time being. Does the game you're trying to run have a benchmark program? Also, are you overclocking?

Edited by FlutterVeiss, 23 September 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#3 hddoutside

hddoutside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

its a rosewill challenger black gaming tower, with a ,ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, a Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core cpu, a msi n560ti twin frozr 2 gpu, 2xstick 8gb g.skill ripjaw series ram, seagate barracuda 1tb hdd, a ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter, all powered by a SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

games ive tried playing are counter strike:go, counter strike: source, team fortress 2, skyrim, minecraft. am not overclocking.

Edited by hddoutside, 23 September 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#4 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

So there are a few things to check for, and think about.

First of all, other than your twelve volt rail being a little higher than usual, none of your voltages are too high, to my knowledge. Your CPU should be fine as long as your voltage does not exceed about 1.35V

I'm not as concerned about that, because often times the voltage sensors that programs like this read often, frankly, suck. The best way to get an accurate reading of your voltage is to do it yourself (with a voltage probe). That said, +/- 0.3 volts is pretty typical in my experience with programs that use the sensors.

As far as what you can check for right now:

1. I see that AIDA has a temperature monitor, and that it displays the temps in a graph format. See if you can get it to either display the graphics card temperature, or get another program that will show it to you. HWmonitor is probably easier to use for that, though feel free to use whatever program you like. This particular GPU has a few issues with its fans dying from time to time. Check to make sure both fans are running (perhaps leave the side of the case open while you run a game). If the fans aren't working, you'll certainly have issues with overheating (which can cause all kinds of crazy crap to happen).

2. Update your graphics card drivers, if you haven't already. They should be available from the MSI website.

3. Run a benchmark program focused on CPU usage. I'm not overly familiar with aida, so if it just tests either component one at a time then disregard this. It's important to single out the component having the problem. So if neither of the above solutions help any, it might be good to test other components, just to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree with the graphics card, especially since the CPU you have also has a graphics component to it.

Come to think of it, are you certain your computer is running the games with your GPU? It's possible that it is somehow trying to use the built-in Intel HD graphics, which would probably not be able to run your games full res. Check in control panel -> device manager -> display adapters and make sure that you see your 560ti there.

A couple questions:
Are you able to tell from aida what stress test caused the hardware to fail?
What version of windows are you running?
Has the system worked prior to this, or is this a recently built/bought system?

Hopefully we can get this sorted out for you soon! Try those and we'll go from there.

EDIT: One last thing: Make sure you aren't inadvertantly running MSI Afterburner. This is a program that can overclock your GPU that came with the card. I doubt this would be a problem, since I'm pretty sure you have to set it manually, but you never know.

Edited by FlutterVeiss, 24 September 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#5 hddoutside

hddoutside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

i haven't been on the computer yet but things didn't start to go bad until after i installed the wireless adapter, which was 2 days ago. i probable should've said that sooner sorry. i done have msi afterburner, but i didnt mess with the overclock settings. am running windows 7. aida didnt tell me where the hardware failure was located, which is dumb. i can try stress testing every setting aida had, which was the cpu, fpu, cache, the system memory, my hard drive, and my gpu. i can test the temps, but from what i remember they where really out of whack. i'll look at it later on today and get back to you.

#6 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

Okay cool. Good luck!

#7 hddoutside

hddoutside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

i stress test each setting individually and nothing. hmmm. but it also seems not to be having a hardware failure anymore. am soo confused. temps seem fine also. you mention earlier that my cpu hit 100%, is that a bad thing when running a stress test?

#8 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

No, it's not.

My reason for concern was you said in your original post that your voltages were too high, so I was worried that the stress tests would be too much.

I wasn't working with a lot of sleep when I wrote that, just a brain-slip. Stress testing SHOULD max out your CPU usage, but it's generally a bad idea to run them if you're over-volting, or overheating (which, by the way, I don't think you are). That's what I was getting at, though. Sorry for the confusion.

They are useful when you have a new configuration to test, but I generally think of them as the kind of test you run when your computer functions normally doing everything except 1 or 2 REALLY difficult programs to run, then you run the stress test to, say, make sure that your PSU is working correctly at maximum power.

When you already KNOW you're having problems with your rig at less than 100%, you don't need to push it to the limits to find out if you have a problem, because you already know.

As for the vanishing problem, have you recently installed any new updates (windows updates, driver updates, etc?) The problem may have worked itself out via an outdated bit of software/driver being updated, or a corrupt version being replaced. Hope the problem is gone for good!

Do keep an eye out for that fan issue I mentioned though, if things start going awry again.

Edited by FlutterVeiss, 25 September 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#9 hddoutside

hddoutside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

i did get a update. why is it that when you need to update everything breaks? i think everythings fixed now. thank you very much for the help.

#10 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

No problem! Glad you're problems are gone! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users