Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is scandisk.exe on WinME CD?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi guys.

I've searched the forum but nothing shows because you can't search on here for scandisk.exe it removes the period so there is nothing with scandiskexe.

I have WinME on my old spare computer. I did a full scandisk in DOS but it shows alot of bad blocks. I've bought another 40GB drive of fleabay but when WinME installs it does the DOS scandisk to check the drive. If it finds any errors and I select fix you have to keep on sitting there pressing the Enter putton to fix every error, held something on the Enter key. When it find a good part because the Enter key is held down it exits and you have to start all over again.

Now you can run scandisk /autofix so it does ask to fix errors but I can't find scankdisk.exe on the CD so I can leave it running until its fixed everything. I know I can use setup /is to bypass the scandisk but I really need the final report so I can complain to the seller. He says all drives are checked for errors before selling them. Now I've had the drive in an external caddy and formatted it FAT32 with EASEUS Partition Master on my main computer. I've done a full surface scan for errors and nothing shows up.

I've found scandisk.exe on my Win98SE disk but that only works in MS DOS 5.0 or less.

Does anyone know of the location of scandisk.exe on the CD?

Edited by Keithuk, 23 September 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

changed name to chkdsk (check disk

open "my computer"
RIGHT (I repeat) RIGHT click "C" drive
click "properties"
click "tools" tab
choose option "check for errors"
check both boxes:
1. "automatically fix errors"
2. "scan for & recover bad sectors"
click "start"
displays message "cannot run disk
check because Windows needs
exclusive access to certain files,
blah blah blah & "do you want to
schedule a disk check for next time
you start your computer?"
click "yes" & close everything & do a
normal restart as you normally do.

it will take an hour or more, make sure
you have power if its a laptop, not just
the internal battery. ideally also plugged
into a battery backup if you have one.
you dont want the computer to die from
power failure, OR to turn it off while chkdsk
is running. when its done it will automatically
reboot.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Yes I know about that but thats in Windows, I want to do a full scan in DOS, have you read what I've said?

Keith

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm found scandisk.exe now WinME is up and running, its in the win9x folder. I'm sure I searched in there in DOS.

Edited by Keithuk, 23 September 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Keith

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Ok the scandisk c: /autofix works but the after 10-15 minutes it shows an Out of Memory message so I have to start it again. Now I have more memory than any other Win9x/ME machine 690MB so I wonder why it shows this. I've run MSD of the disk and that shows all the memory I don't know if there is any TSR's running any suggestions?

The guy I bought the drive of said all drives have had a full scan with WinXP and they are clean. I said I've used EASEUS Partition Master on my main computer. I've done a full surface scan for errors and nothing shows up. So does the DOS version do a thorough scan?

Keith

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

formatted it FAT32 with EASEUS Partition Master

Possibly a non-standard configuration? DOS Scandisk is a 16-bit application and can handle just over 4 million clusters, excess will generate an Out of Memory error. How many clusters does chkdsk report on the drive?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

My suggestion is to remove all the disk partitions and let the Windows ME setup create the partition and format.
Maybe Easeus Partition Master used a cluster size not supported by Windows ME.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for your input.

Easeus Partition Master formats the drive FAT32 32bit clusters thats the lowest setting available. Windows won't format large drives FAT32.

I also formatted the drive with D:\win9x\format.com and it said there were some bad sectors. There is only one partition 37.5GB.

Update:

I've just run chkdsk from Windows and it says:

39,068,512 kilobytes total disk space
31,750,752 kilobytes free

32,760 bytes in each allocation cluster
1,220,891 total allocation units on disk
992,211 available allocation units on disk

655,360 total bytes memory
581,616 bytes free

Edited by Keithuk, 24 September 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Keith

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for your input.

Easeus Partition Master formats the drive FAT32 32bit clusters thats the lowest setting available. Windows won't format large drives FAT32.

I also formatted the drive with D:\win9x\format.com and it said there were some bad sectors. There is only one partition 37.5GB.

Something strange is happening if you did a surface scan for errors and the disk its fine it doesn't make any sense format complaining about bad sectors.

You could have a bad memory or a bad flat cable.

My suggestion download Seagate SEATOOLS from this link, its my upload of a old version of Seatools, it includes seatoold_en.exe to generate a boot floppy, if the machine doesn't have a floppy you have to burn the ISO included (use the function to burn image on your burning software).

Boot with the Seatools disk and check the options to test the memory, disk controller, and the Hard Disk.
I use this version all the time and it can detect if you have a bad flat cable or other problems, make sure you get OK on all tests.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Something strange is happening if you did a surface scan for errors and the disk its fine it doesn't make any sense format complaining about bad sectors.

You could have a bad memory or a bad flat cable.

My suggestion download Seagate SEATOOLS from this link, its my upload of a old version of Seatools, it includes seatoold_en.exe to generate a boot floppy, if the machine doesn't have a floppy you have to burn the ISO included (use the function to burn image on your burning software).

Boot with the Seatools disk and check the options to test the memory, disk controller, and the Hard Disk.
I use this version all the time and it can detect if you have a bad flat cable or other problems, make sure you get OK on all tests.

As I said I did a format and scan with Easeus Partition Master and found nothing wrong. I did a full scan with WinXP after a restart and nothing found. I do a DOS scandisk and it taking a long time after the Out of Memory restarts and its showing 20% of the drive with bad sectors. I just want to prove to the seller that it shows bad sectors when he says its had a full scan with WinXP and there is nothing wrong.

I have seagate tools when I have a Seagate drive this (it only works with Seagate drives), one is a Western Digital WD400EB the same as my old drive.

Keith

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Easeus Partition Master formats the drive FAT32 32Kbit clusters thats the lowest setting available. Windows won't format large drives FAT32.

I also formatted the drive with D:\win9x\format.com

That seems normal, and yes it's irritating that you can't use your XP computer to prepare the drive for 9x/ME without third party intervention. I don't think that's causing the issue though, as:

32,760 bytes in each allocation cluster
1,220,891 total allocation units on disk

should not present DOS Scandisk with a problem.

You could check the drive with the WD utilities:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD400EB&x=9&y=9

As SleepyDude has suggested, the fact that only the DOS scan is having any problem might indicate a fault in low DOS memory. I've had that happen myself. The quickest way to prove is to swap the location of memory modules - if the DOS scan comes good and Windows starts having blue screens or other problems, then a DIMM is faulty. If everything comes good, then there was probably a bad contact in one slot. If nothing changes that eliminates memory. I have also had a bad IDE flat cable cause odd "bad data" problems, but that wouldn't explain why Windows scan passes.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Update:

Ok its now sorted. I got the floppy drive working and I used a WinME bootdisk. I ran Fdisk and checked the partitions only one. I removed the primary partition and made a new one. I restarted back to the floppy and formatted the drive, all ok. I ran scandisk and did a full scan, 3 hours later and it was a clean sweep and it didn't show Out of Memory. So there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with this replacement drive. I'm now installing WinME again.

I recon it must have been EASEUS format it didn't like even though it was 23bit clusters, even though I did format the drive of the WinME disc from DOS.

Thanks for your help lads and the Western Digital tools link from Platypus.

Keith

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I have seagate tools when I have a Seagate drive this (it only works with Seagate drives), one is a Western Digital WD400EB the same as my old drive.

Maybe the new Seagate tool, the one I give you the link its a old version (from Ontrack) and it works fine with any Hard Disk, it probably only fix some errors on a Seagate HDD but works fine for detecting errors.

___
Rui

#14 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

If you have a "Floppy Drive" and are willing to send me your email address, I will send you a copy of "TestHDD" which is a freeware program that is the best HDD checker I have encountered. It is a DOS program that runs from a "Floppy Disk" which can check both IDE and SATA drives, is capable of being set to start at any point on the drive, is also capable of being set to finish at any point on the drive, (Using percentages).

Further it gives you a map showing bad sectors just like the old DOS Scandisk, and it also gives you a continuous readout of the read speed of the part of the drive being checked, (Normal is minor fluctuations, with the speed slowly drifing lower as you get towards the back of the drive. But Wild fluctuations in read speed are indicative of damaged sectors. It is also capable of checking the FAT (File Allocation Table), Clearing the MBR (Master Boot Record), as well as the "Surface Test".

And when the "Surface Test" is done If you select "View Defect List" it enables you to remap the drive so as to exclude any unreadable sectors so Microsoft software won't even see them. And if you select "View Defect List" (even when there are no unreadable sectors), then type the Letter "M" it will give you a graph of the read time of all the sectors on the drive, wherein undamaged sectors show up as a flat line, and damaged but still readable sectors show up as spikes up from the line, wherein the higher the spike, the worse the damage is.

One other thing worth mentioning is Win98-SE scandisk will run with DOS 6.22 which is what I always used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users