Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attaching laptop to monitor using VGA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 murru

murru

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

I have been trying to attach my laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) to a monitor/tv (Salora LCD1911TNDVX) at home in order to make my workspace more convenient. Without the laptop on the table, I have more space for other things, and the monitor screen is much larger (19”/48cm) and more pleasing to look at.

To do so, I have used a VGA cable directly connecting the laptop to the monitor. However, I am running into the following issue. As soon as I connect the laptop to the monitor, the screen on the laptop automatically adjusts to a different resolution, in order to fit properly on the monitor. The screen on the monitor has low resolution, and appears much more blurry than the original screen on the laptop. I have attached two pictures to give an indication of the difference.

Normal screen on laptop:
https://www.box.com/s/d0nndeo3wb52nhj0oe1k

Screen as it appears on the monitor:
https://www.box.com/s/4ri0f1l7sf2bqgubgb4i

As you can see, the screen on the monitor is more compact, and has less width. Because the icons and screen is presented on a much larger screen than the original laptop screen, everything appears a little bit blurry, and not sharp. My eyes are getting very tired looking at such a blurry screen.

EDIT
Some additional information:
The laptop screen is set to 1024 x 768 pixels, and the monitor screen as well. As soon as I try to change the resolution to 1600 x 1200 pixels, the monitor states that the VGA output is not supported.
/EDIT

Is this an inherent issue when you attach the laptop through VGA, or is there something I can do about this? I hope someone can help me solve this issue. I appreciate your time.

With kind regards,

Murru

Additional laptop information:
Model
Dell Latitude E6400
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz:
39 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0RX493 (Microprocessor):
43 °C
Graphics
Plug and Play Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
186GB Seagate ST9200423ASG (SATA):
40 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-U633A
TKZ 1EZ4P6Z456 SCSI CdRom Device
DEVELEL B4XMFKP SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Edited by murru, 23 September 2012 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

your tv specs show a maximum resolution of 1440 x 900
your laptop specs show tha t it is capable of this resolution also.
try setting to that resolution.
if you need new drivers to achieve that, they are here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+4+Series+Express+Chipset+Family&ProdId=2991&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

#3 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Dear caperdog,

Thank you for your quick response. I do not know anything about how to set the screen resolution properly. The way I adjust the resolution is I go to properties (right click desktop) > Settings, and then I choose the resolution from there for the first monitor (I do not know what the second one means). I have attached two pictures of what the settings screen look like:
Display 1: https://www.box.com/s/exhb2t3d37eg4ctu4fzo
Display 2: https://www.box.com/s/n9z5kum0487kl3ndqdrt

I have the following two issues to discuss.

(1) In addition to the Salora LCD1911TNDVX (19”) monitor, I also own a Samsung SyncMaster 171P (17”) monitor. Which of the two monitors do you think is better in terms of quality, and compatibility with my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop?

(2) I have tried to download new drivers for the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family by using your link. In the first box (Operating System) I select Windows XP. In the second (Download Type) box I select Drivers. That why, I download the following driver:

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows XP* (exe)
Installs the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 14.42.15.5420 (6.14.10.5420) for Intel® integrated graphics.

However, when I try to install this driver I get the following error:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.
Setup will exit.

Unquote

I have also tried to let the Intel website automatically detect for driver updates using the following link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics. I have run this overnight for approximately 12 hours. However, the check stals and does not proceed beyond the following statement: Analyzing computer.

I do not know what I should do next. I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Murru

Additional information:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619 : Service Pack 3)

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hi Murru
when you go to: properties (right click desktop) > Settings the 1 and 2 represent the two displays attached to your computer.

Display 1 is set at 1024 x 768 , also (to the right) color is set at 32 bit

when you click on 2 it will show you the properties of Display 2

Display 2 is set at 640 x 480, color is set to 8 bit
use the slider to change resolution settings and drop down menu to change color to 32 bit

Maximum tv resolution is 1440 x 900. anything higher is beyond its range. that is why you got an error when you set it to 1600 x 900.

1) as far as which monitor to use I would try them both and see which I liked better.

2)oops, sorry about that. Sometimes you have to go to the manufacturers website for drivers. Dell is like that. You can look at their website for any updated drivers. Try the resolution changes first. It may be all you need.

#5 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Dear Caperdog,

Thank you for the information. I finally figured it out. I opted for the Samsung SyncMaster 171P (17”) monitor, because of the higher resolution possible on this monitor. I truly appreciate your help.

Regards,

Murru

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

Murru

My pleasure. Glad you posted back with the outcome. Sometimes we are left wondering if the problem was resolved or not.

Caperdog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users