Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open any browser in Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 starrybee

starrybee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hi
I am not sure if this is a virus or just a vista malfunction so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit, my computer is 4 years old.

Recently I have been noticing problems with firefox acting strangely- running very slowly, freezing occasionally. I tried switching to Chrome (it was already installed on the computer but I don't use it often.) but Chrome would not open at all unless I ran it as an administrator.

Then firefox got even worse. I tried to save a picture and the download manager caused the whole computer freeze. Pressing ctrl + alt + delete resulted in a black screen and the error message "Logon process failed to create security dialog." I googled this error and it reccomended that I run a full disk check. I did this and it did not fix the problem.

I booted up in Safe Mode and ran full scans in Malware Bytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot. They produced a couple of results which I removed. When I rebooted, Chrome suddenly worked perfectly. Firefox however would not load up at all, although it was listed in the Task Manager. This was yesterday evening.

This morning, neither Chrome nor Firefox would load. As soon as I click on any web browser icon the whole computer freezes and I have to restart. CtrlAltDelete produces the same logon processes error. I have tried loading some other programs to see if it was limited to web browsers - Word seemed fine, Itunes opened up but froze as soon as I tried to use it - so it seems perhaps that anything that requires internet access has been affected?

Everything opens fine in safe mode, and safe mode with networking.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hello -
Please use Internet Explorer for these steps -
First -
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.
Next
Download SuperantiSpyware Free Install it and make sure you check for Updates, also Update your Malwarebytes -
Run Full Scans with both programs and post the logs back here MBAM has Logs at the Top of the face, and SAS has View Scan Logs near Bottom Left -
Next
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan - Click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan
You will be prompted to disable any antivirus programs for this to run - Information on A/V control (temp disable) HERE if needed
Download ESET online Scanner This will take quite a while to load the base program, and then the updated definitions
Post the results back here -
Next
Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
List Devices (problems only)
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Thank You -
Spell Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 23 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users