Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 BSOD on boot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

A while ago, when I installed my new HD 6570 as an upgrade from my current GeForce 7100, I rebooted, and it worked fine. Two reboots later, my computer gave a BSOD of PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, with an 0x0000006B error. It did this on every subsequent boot.
I managed to fix this by performing a system restore and by letting system repair run.

On Thursday, however, we had a powercut in the area, and when I rebooted my computer, it gave the same blue screen error. That's fine, I fixed it again with the same process.

However, on the night between Friday and Saturday, Windows 7 auto rebooted to install updates and went into a constant reboot cycle.

I woke up on Saturday morning, and my computer was on the same BSOD. I no longer have the HD 6570 card, so it can't be that that's causing the problem any more.

Since then, I've tried the following:
System restore (All four points)
System repair (Upwards of 30 times)
Chkdsk with a /f switch on all drives
SFC on all drives
Removed my bootcat.cache file to no avail (I've now replaced it)
Tried safe mode, doesn't boot
Tried low resolution
Tried last known good configuration
Tried disabling driver signature enforcement

Things I'm not willing to do (I have 600GB of data that I couldn't risk losing, and I can't afford an external drive at the moment):
Chkdsk with a /r switch
Reinstall Windows, even if it's an "upgrade" install that keeps your data - There's no guarantee that it will work without fail
Backup to an external drive and then format
Anything else that could cause data loss

Could someone possibly assist me and provide me with more ideas in order to fix this? I can access most system .exe files with the exception of things like msconfig and devmgmt, by typing "notepad" into command prompt from the Windows RE and then right click --> opening the file.

I have a Windows 7 install disc that allows me to access the RE.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

<<Things I'm not willing to do (I have 600GB of data that I couldn't risk losing, and I can't afford an external drive at the moment):
Chkdsk with a /r switch
Reinstall Windows, even if it's an "upgrade" install that keeps your data - There's no guarantee that it will work without fail
Backup to an external drive and then format
Anything else that could cause data loss>>

There is no process that can avoid possible data loss. In fact, such has already occurred in substance...you've lost access to everything on Windows and/or the hard drive.

Anything that would require a working hard drive and a properly file system and computer components...has the possibility of data loss anytime, including trying to access or move any data from the drive.

Louis

#3 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

I don't think you've read my post properly.. I stated that all of my data is accessible and readable through command prompt in the RE. By data loss, I'm referring to actual data loss, and not loss of access (which hasn't occurred). Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix the error?

Edited by Bens_Dream, 23 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

I read your post :).

If you have a hard drive (or other system component) problem...the fact that you had access at one moment may be gone the next, IME.

Within the parameters you outlined...no, I have nothing to suggest but others here are far more knowledgeable and may have some suggestions.

Microsoft suggestion re such: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981833 .

Louis

#5 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the link, sadly that fix didn't work (On two occassions). It's definitely not a disk error. I know there's a corrupt file somewhere but I can't find what it is (Safe mode and boot log shows that it occurs after CLASSPNP.sys). On top of this, I've only had this drive since January, plus I've fixed the exact same error three times in the past, though it's not working this time around.
Edit: In my last post I meant to say "I don't think you've read my post properly" (I've now edited the word "properly" in there - I thought you may have missed where I said that I could access most of my files via CLI.

Edited by Bens_Dream, 23 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

:thumbup2: , no problem.

The problem with STOP codes...is that most of them can be an indirect recognition of a problem.

Example...bad RAM or a failing hard drive...or, for that matter, a failing CMOS battery...all can result in any number of STOP codes in Windows without ever being depicted as the prime cause. These devices will gum up Windows...which will then generate a STOP code as it best determines what the cause of the problem might be.

Then it will scream "I'm broken, help me!". Essentially, IMO, it's nice when there definited, distinct correlations between error messages and real events...but I don't expect it.

If it were me, I'd start with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...I like to know that the base upon which I have created my system O/S and software and storage...is fundamentally sound. No point in trying to save Windows or the partition or anything on the drive...if it's sinking.

Louis

#7 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Even though I can categorically tell you that the drive is not failing, I have run memory testers and hard drive checkers for both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. All four scans came out 100% clean. Sadly, it's not failing RAM - This would have overjoyed me - At least I could just replace it and get on with business then! Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I have no ideas which you haven't already pursued...let's see if others have any suggestions :).

Louis

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi,

I don't have a solution only a question are you running Windows 7 with SP1?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm not sure, how would I go about checking?

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure, how would I go about checking?

- Boot with the Windows 7 DVD and access the Command Prompt on the System Recovery Options
- use the command:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"
the output will be similar to "os device partition=D:"
take note of the drive returned in this case D:

- Load the registry hiv using this command (replace D: with the drive letter you got above):
REG LOAD HKLM\TempSoft D:\Windows\System32\config\software

- Start the Regitry Editor
regedit
locate this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TempSoft\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion the value for CSDVersion will be Service Pack 1 if you have SP1 installed.

- Close regedit
- Unload the registry
REG UNLOAD HKLM\TempSoft

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#12 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Thank you. Yes, my current version is Service Pack 1. How would this affect/cause the issue? Thanks for your help.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thank you. Yes, my current version is Service Pack 1. How would this affect/cause the issue? Thanks for your help.

Because the Microsoft page linked by Louis says the problem described is solved on Windows 7 with SP1.

By any chance do you have any external devices connected by USB? Did you try to boot without any devices connected except the keyboard and mouse?

___
Rui

#14 Bens_Dream

Bens_Dream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I don't have anything connected via USB except my wireless adapter, which I've tried booting without.

I was wondering, it's been recommended that I download a bootcache.cat file from another person's computer who is using Windows 7. I know a guy who uses a different version of 7 to me and it didn't work. If we had the exact same editions would it make a difference?

Thanks.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

The recommendation is to rename or remove the file.
The bootcache.cat file its a Catalogue of signed drivers accessed at boot, its specific for every computer and should be recreated at next boot.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users