Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoDs for memory, but no memtest errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Parts:

GPU: EVGA Nvidia geforce 430

HDD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 Gb/s

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W ATX 12V v2.2/ EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified (Modular)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W

MoBo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870

RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1600MHz 1.5V
Part Number BLS4G3D1609DS1S00

Problem:
I keep getting a BSoD at various times. The errors all seem to point to memory (PFN list corrupt, memory management, page-fault in nonpaged area, and NTFS File System). Will post a more extensive list and dump files if needed. I'm running memtest and posting from a laptop at the moment).

What I've done so far:

I've run memtest all the way through with all 4 sticks in with 0 errors for a few passes (between 3-6, can't remember exactly). I'm now running them one stick at a time, each time in a different slot. One puzzling thing though, is that 2 slots that I've tested have shown up as "200 MHz (DDR400)" in memtest, with everything else (processor, CAS latency, and category (DDR3 (64 bits)) showing up correctly. The other two slots show normal 800 MHz (DDR 1600). I tried running the computer on only those two slots, which is when I got the NTFS_File_System error. Come to think of it though, the slots are different colors, so that may because it's not dual channel. May have to redo that...

Anyway, any stick in the first two slots reads as 800 MHz (1600), and any stick in the second two slots read 200 MHz (400). So I'm fairly certain the problem is either the mobo or the psu.

I've run a diskcheck, and the Seagate analysis tool with no errors returned.

I have yet to run the Windows memory analysis, but I can only do that tomorrow.

EDIT: I have also checked, and I am running the most recent revision of the BIOs (2001)

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm also going to test with a spare PSU tomorrow at a higher wattage to make sure there aren't any problems, though I tested with a voltage probe and it seems to be fine.

This has been driving me nuts!

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by FlutterVeiss, 22 September 2012 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

when I use memtest I run it over night 4or5 passes might show errors if the ram is really bad ,but over night or longer might be needed to show errors ,and its recommended by all,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 FlutterVeiss

FlutterVeiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I did run it over night at one point with all 4 sticks in with no errors. I suppose I could test each stick individually over the course of 4 nights, but I'm a little bit more concerned with why 2 slots are showing up as 200MHz. Is there a problem with the mobo or psu that would cause this? Any way to test for that?

I will run those tests over the course of the next few days though.

Edited by FlutterVeiss, 23 September 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

but I'm a little bit more concerned with why 2 slots are showing up as 200MHz.

sorry I don't have an answer for that one .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users