Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK Hanging

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter in trouble

Peter in trouble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hi All,

I installed AVG PC Tuneup and one of the recommendations was torun a check disk (I think AVG calls it disk doctor). I ticked the box for the process to run and let the PC restart. Indeed, it started regular chkdsk and started running through the five steps.

steps 1 to 4 did not present any problem (actual terms might be different on an English O/S, please bear with me, as I'm translating from a different language O/S):

1/5 - file check completed
2/5 - index check completed
3/5 - security descriptors completed ; and
USN log check completed
4/5 - files check completed
5/5 - checking available space . . . . . .

I let the chkdsk run overnight an am now waking up to a 73% completed. I'm not sure which disk is being checked. Chkdsk could still be "running" on my C drive, or actually have completed C and went on to the five other partitions on two physical HDs in my PC. I see no reference to what disk is being checked. 

What's worse, it's been 73% for more than an hour no and none of my keyboard keys is working. Not just the escape or break commands, also pressing the numlock of capslock keys does not result in the corresponding lights to switch on.  Neither is the mouse light on.

I feel like I have no other choice but to forcefully shut down, but I'm reluctant to do so. 

The fact that chkdsk has not found any issues (at least insofar I can see on my screen), does that mean that I have less risk of permanent damage when I shut it down? Will chkdsk run again when I reboot and will I end up the same situation? Can anybody please advise what to do?

Thanks, Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Just a few attempts at clarification.

1. Chkdsk is a file system tool. Even though we all speak of it as checking the hard drive...it only does so in regard to partition/filee system/file integrity. It does not check the entire disk unless the designated partition to be checked...occupies all hard drive space.

2. If you did the Start/Run...type chkdsk /r routine without indicating a drive letter...the check will be done only on the Windows partition.

3. The time taken for chkdsk /r to complete depends on two things:

a. The size of the partition being checked.

b. The condition of the drive, files, file system, and partition structure...the chkdsk encounters. The larger the partition, the more problems encountered...the longer the effort takes. I've run checks on 750GB partitions that take a little over 2.5 hours.

c. If chkdsk /r encounters problems, it may generate an onscreen error message...or it may continue to try to overcome whatever it is that it encounters.

I'm not sure if the keys are useless once a disk check has begun...I've always had to do a hard shutdown to stop a chkdsk /r so I imagine that the keys are normally unresponsive when a disk check of the O/S partition is being done.

If it were me...in the absence of an onscreen message that chkdsk /r cannot continue or has run into problems it cannot overcome...I would let it run. Then...I would run it again, since something that can be overcome...was in bad shape.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users