Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing backtrack 5 is seemingly IMPOSSIBLE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I am trying to install BT5r3 in dual boot with windows 7 however they updated the installation wizard and there is not a single tutorial on the web that explains how to do this any more.

for starters this is how my drives are set up in windows 7

c:\ 561.71 gb, 51 gb free, NTFS where windows 7 and programs are installed

D:\ 14.63 gb, 1.83 gb free, NTFS recovery drive setup by HP

G:\ 97 mb, 87 mb free, FAT32 HP tools, has BIOS stuff in it ...not sure what the point is never touched it

H:\ 19.5 gb, 19.4gb free, NTFS I partitioned this in windows to put backtrack on ...if only it could be that simple

system tools 199 mb, 165mb free, NTFS I dont have a clue what this is! it is only visible in disk management and I can't explore it like the other partitions

in the old installer you got this
backtrack wiki image of installer

apparently the slide to select your partition tool was TOO SIMPLE AND EASY. now the wizard has changed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

/dev/sda1 windows 7 (loader)

/dev/sda2 windows vista (loader) see below

/dev/sda3

/dev/sda4 windows vista (loader) this is a refurb computer so I dont know it's whole history but I have found no evidence of another OS on it and if i was missing 36gigs i definitely would have known about it

that is what backtrack sees in step 4 I select specify partitions manually and move to the next step

Posted Image

if I select /dev/sda I can use the new partition table and revert options

if i select any of the /dev/sdaX I can use the change,delete and revert options

at no time does the add option become available

I selected /dev/sda3 as that seems to be the majority of my HDD i selected change (definitely dont want to delete anything and i haven't done anything so i dont even want to know what revert is.

selecting change brings up a new window

the first field is new partition size in MB i enter 25600
the next field is use as with a drop down default selected is do not use the partition then it has listed
ext4 journaling file system, ext3 journaling file system, ext2 file system, ReiserFS journaling file system, JFS journaling file system, XFS Journaling file system, FAT16 file system, FAT32 file system, NTFS, and swap area

i selected NTFS as it's the only system im familiar with for large drives

next is a check box for format the partition i left unchecked

the last field is mount point with a drop down with the options /dos and /windows

if you select different file systems the last drop down has different options

this is where I decided not to poke around in the dark when my main operating system and all my data is on the line
can anyone provide me some insight on how to use this new PIAPOS installation wizard before i make a new fangled walltop computer because if i keep at this it's not going to be sitting on my desk for long its going to be thrown through a wall

and the backtrack team in all it's brilliance has gone back to previous versions and put this installer in I already tried to go back to bt5r2 and planned to use apt-get commands to upgrade the distro but ran into the same wizard. IDK how far back they went but I decided to stop wasting DVDs

i have read the back track wiki and read or watched over 30 tutorials/walkthroughs/ guides and I have only found one that uses this type of installer and it did not help me but he said

"That should get you to this window, where all existing partitions on the target hard drive should be listed. The system used for this tutorial had an existing installation of a Linux distribution on it, but I will be deleting the partitions, freeing up all available space."

so that still doesn't help me here is the link if you wanted the full article he also does his partitions EXTREMELY strange i dont understand this at all

from linuxbsdos.com

I am trying install the bt5r3 64bit GNOME version if anyone has an old ISO with the older easy type of installer they could send me that would be great too at this point I DONT CARE any version of bt5, 32 bit or 64, KDE or GNOME if i can end this 3 day headache its more then welcomed onto my system

HP Pavillion DV7 6000 series
AMD 3400m 64 bit proccessor
6 gigs ram
700 gig HDD
windows 7 64 bit home premium
I am a new user to linux and plan to triple boot with ubuntu or mint as well for my real learning for now im relying off google so if it comes down to using linux to get this installed right treat me as a noobie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

The below images and instructions in link below are what Backtrack is giving to
install 5. Are those images and instructions not applicable to what you see
during install?
Dual Boot BackTrack And Windows7 - BackTrack Linux

EDIT:
Meant to add that you don't have enough or the recommended
free space on your C drive. 15% is what is recommended to be able to
defrag. You are down to 9% free space. Many recommend 20%.

Edited by buddy215, 23 September 2012 - 05:16 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've never had a problem installing BackTrack. I have the latest installed on a server as a honeypot using the latest latest DVD release and the installer appears to be the same. I just tested it against CentOS 6.03 and still no different the slider is there.

Posted Image

#4 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

ready for more confusion?!?!?!

so i deleted the extra partition i made earlier (drive H:\) and extended it back then deleted a game or two.

my drives as they appear in windows are now as follows:

C:\ 581.25 gb, 143.07 gb free, NTFS where windows 7 and programs are installed

D:\ 14.63 gb, 1.83 gb free, NTFS recovery drive setup by HP

G:\ 97 mb, 87 mb free, FAT32 HP tools, found out this is the BIOS diagnostic tools

system 199 mb, 165mb free, NTFS I dont have a clue what this is! it is only visible in disk management and I can't explore it like the other partitions

ok this is strange!

according to HP's site my computer should have a 640GB HD

total hard drive space as per device manager>properties: 596.17GB

total hard drive space acquired from adding up the drives in device manager: 596.17

total hard drive space acquired from adding up the drives depicted in the back track install : 640.10

but wait there's more remember i only deleted the extra empty partition and some games to make extra space and then tried to install BT5 again

Posted Image
this is the same
Posted Image
notice /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4

/dev/sda3 grew in size as expected but is now listed as a windows vista (loader)
/dev/sda4 which was a windows vista (loader) is now blank

can anyone explain this?

Posted Image
this is the next step's screen all of my options stayed the same

The below images and instructions in link below are what Backtrack is giving to
install 5. Are those images and instructions not applicable to what you see
during install?

nope the backtrack wiki is the first place i started

I've never had a problem installing BackTrack. I have the latest installed on a server as a honeypot using the latest latest DVD release and the installer appears to be the same. I just tested it against CentOS 6.03 and still no different the slider is there.

i noticed your screenshot is using a KDE desktop is that a 32 bit , 64 bit, or ARM version? i'll download whichever version it is, unless its ARM, and test it on my system.
maybe they left it alone on KDE ISO's? maybe they didn't change it and i just have some sort of unseen circumstances

also is it possible that i cant make another partition? i was reading something about (and getting confused by) master boot record. the MBR takes up the first 4 partitions of a drive. can you not make any past that? am i having these problems because of my "Ghost" windows vista partitions?

I was also trying to install ubuntu today and what do ya know same installer (almost but i do get the exact same window as step 5) so i get stuck in the exact same place

Edited by attak sekwence, 24 September 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#5 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic469675.html
i posted the bit about my drives not making sense in the windows 7 forum and also linked here to see the screen shots because I don't think that part of my problem is specific to linux

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

From link below:
Keep in mind that the hard drive manufacturers are using the accurate description of the terms–the prefix giga, for instance, means a power of 1000, whereas the correct term for powers of 1024 is gibibyte, though it isn't often used. Unfortunately, Windows has always calculated hard drives as powers of 1024 while hard drive manufacturers use powers of 1000.
If hard disks were advertised in terms of the amount of space they actually contained when you connected them to your Windows computer, a 1 TB hard drive would be labeled a 931 GB hard drive instead.

More info here on what your partitions contain: HTG Explains: Why Do Hard Drives Show the Wrong Capacity in Windows? - How-To Geek

I upgraded this comp from Vista to 7. The recovery partition contained Vista after upgrading to 7. I had to manually change that.
But Ubuntu only identified the recovery partition as Vista....not anything else. Once I deleted the recovery partition, Ubuntu no
longer mentioned Vista...only my Win7.

I do have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on another computer, but I allowed it to install on the entire drive. Maybe someone else who has
installed 12.04 recently in a dual boot with Windows can describe if they saw the option to install along side Windows or not.

EDIT: If you have not deleted old System Restore Points or have not set the amount of space Windows 7 can use, take
a look at the info in link below. You could gain several more GBs by deleting all but the most recent restore point and
reducing the amount of space Windows 7 can use.

Make System Restore Use Less Drive Space in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

Avoid serious problems...defrag Windows before shrinking its partition!!

Edited by buddy215, 24 September 2012 - 06:59 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

i noticed your screenshot is using a KDE desktop is that a 32 bit , 64 bit, or ARM version? i'll download whichever version it is, unless its ARM, and test it on my system.
maybe they left it alone on KDE ISO's? maybe they didn't change it and i just have some sort of unseen circumstances

also is it possible that i cant make another partition? i was reading something about (and getting confused by) master boot record. the MBR takes up the first 4 partitions of a drive. can you not make any past that? am i having these problems because of my "Ghost" windows vista partitions?

I was also trying to install ubuntu today and what do ya know same installer (almost but i do get the exact same window as step 5) so i get stuck in the exact same place

The 32 bit. :) My server runs a 64 bit though, but there isn't any noticeable difference. I haven't tried the Gnome version for sometime so I'll download it and give it a shot. :)

#8 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

ok hard drive mystery solved back to installation

next thing I think i need to understand is /dev/sdaX

/dev means device
/sd means ssci drive
a means hard drive 0
1 , 2, 3 , 4 are partitions right?

this isn't just back track anymore I also have the same issue with ubuntu but i digress

so even though I have free space none is listed as free space why is that?

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/17/manual-disk-partitioning-guide-for-backtrack-5-r2-gnome/

in that article they have the same thing i think
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 take all the space. then he deletes them and free space is listed and he is able to freely make his partitions as he pleases

so what exactly are these partitions including? are there files on them? how do I look at them so I know what to delete?

#9 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I just tried the Gnome version and the installation is identical to the KDE version with the slider and all. Somebody else will have to help on the partitioning I'm not familiar/comfortable with that.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

The info you need is here: [SOLVED] Dual-boot 12.04 and Windows 7 installation - Ubuntu Forums

#11 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

well this is ironic.... just like the thread you posted for me i got impatient and made hasty decisions before you found my perfect...100% would have worked solution XD

i deleted /dev/sda4 and the result of which is backtrack is running SWEET!... but i bricked windows (not entirely crushed about this)

when booting to windows it starts to load then flashes a BSOD just about before i would get to the login screen and reboots

it doesnt sustain the BSOD so i have no error message then attempting to start windows again it says

windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem insert your windows disc blah blah blah and use the repair utility

so i didnt destroy windows but deleted something critical for it to run however my music pictures etc are all that really matters and they are still accessible from linux.

i have some ghetto recovery discs that i burned from the recovery partition using HP's little tool when I put that in and select boot from disc ....nothing happens big surprise! HP's software didnt work. It reverts back to HDD and I get GRUB. Over this past week I have seriously developed a deep throbbing hatred for HP for various reasons.

so my only option now is to order some legitimate recovery discs from HP, here's another 3 bucks you bastards, and repair my windows

in the meantime i think I'll install mint 13 get and get more acquainted with linux!

Cheers thanks alot for the help guys and happy computing to you

#12 Dethadder

Dethadder

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Why donít you just use a dedicated hard drive for BT? Iíve always found that doing partitions with any windows system is sloppy and will give you problems. (Particularly with the MBR) the best way to do it is have one OS per drive. Kill the confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users