Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There are a few things to go over

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tx3000

tx3000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ok I see all these help topics around the net on various sites about answering certain things about Windows 8 such as getting to the Control Panel and things:

One of the instructions are to go to my computer and right click, or right click on the desktop icon of my computer (If you have one) and do it from there. That's all well and good but that doesn't do the person reading it any good when they have to locate the MY computer option that no one has bothered to explain how to locate. The point I'm making is if people are going to post how to instructions, stop missing steps that are needed in order to be able to finish following the instructions.

If I want to access the control panel to shut off the UAC (USER ACCOUNT CONTROL), I shouldn't have to open the search and type Control panel to locate it user accounts. This is something that should be accessible from the settings/start menu in this mess. now people will no doubt start posting how to access it multiple ways, but there is no point, considering I already accessed it and also explained how I accessed it.

Instead what people should be doing with their efforts is either explaining how to attach the control panel to this metro start menu, or at least trying to figure out how to access things a lot easier. Because even though the metro UI takes a bit to getting used to (For those not used to it) I don't think i have to explain how irritating it is to have to go through so much trouble to find something that should already just be there..Hell just about every other thing is.

Another annoying aspect I want to complain about is how even after shutting off the UAC (Just like in Windows xp, Vista, and 7) and Me being the administrator, why is it everything i run through Windows 8 won't run unless I go to the icon I want to launch in the Start menu, right click it, and then select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR option, and if I don't, it doesn't let me run half the crap I want to run.

If the UAC is shut off, and I am the administrator, then there is absolutely no reason for this to still require me to run something as administrator.

Edited by tx3000, 22 September 2012 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Another annoying aspect I want to complain about is how even after shutting off the UAC (Just like in Windows xp, Vista, and 7) and Me being the administrator, why is it everything i run through Windows 8 won't run unless I go to the icon I want to launch in the Start menu, right click it, and then select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR option, and if I don't, it doesn't let me run half the crap I want to run.

If the UAC is shut off, and I am the administrator, then there is absolutely no reason for this to still require me to run something as administrator.

It's done to improve security and to prevent you from having bigger problems.

Suppose every app you run is run with administrator privileges by default. This would be fine with most 'safe' apps but if an app with malicious intent makes it's way onto your computer totally undetected by any anti-virus/anti-malware software and you run it with administrator privileges(since it's default), it can do whatever the hell it wants to do with your computer, anything really - from installing backdoors, keyloggers to deleting your personal files. In short - one single rogue app could screw up your entire system and personal files.

By preventing this and by not running apps with administrator privileges by default, apps are run in a restricted environment and thus any major damage to you(and your system) would be prevented even if a certain app decides to go rogue.
And this isn't just for Windows, Linux one of the most secure(also widely used) operating systems is stricter on this matter.

And that's a good thing. :)

Ok I see all these help topics around the net on various sites about answering certain things about Windows 8 such as getting to the Control Panel and things:

One of the instructions are to go to my computer and right click, or right click on the desktop icon of my computer (If you have one) and do it from there. That's all well and good but that doesn't do the person reading it any good when they have to locate the MY computer option that no one has bothered to explain how to locate. The point I'm making is if people are going to post how to instructions, stop missing steps that are needed in order to be able to finish following the instructions.

If I want to access the control panel to shut off the UAC (USER ACCOUNT CONTROL), I shouldn't have to open the search and type Control panel to locate it user accounts. This is something that should be accessible from the settings/start menu in this mess. now people will no doubt start posting how to access it multiple ways, but there is no point, considering I already accessed it and also explained how I accessed it.

Instead what people should be doing with their efforts is either explaining how to attach the control panel to this metro start menu, or at least trying to figure out how to access things a lot easier. Because even though the metro UI takes a bit to getting used to (For those not used to it) I don't think i have to explain how irritating it is to have to go through so much trouble to find something that should already just be there..Hell just about every other thing is.

You don't pay those people to help you - and hence they have no moral or legal obligation to explain everything to you just the way you want. People provide all this help to you for free.

Still, if you want more help - if you ask in forums like this one or such other places then people will most likely help you and explain things to you in a way you understand. People are that good, be grateful for that.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 23 September 2012 - 06:16 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

first let me say I agree totally with Alvas Rawuther

but will like to add some tips I learned so far ,most I figure out my self ,the obvious ones ,others I found with the help of my best friend on the internet ,Mr. www.goolge.ca

Quote =attach the control panel to this metro start menu

Its there just hidden a bit , when in metro start, just right click and it gives option to show all icons

---------------------------

when on the desktop use the windows key and x to open up dialog box of almost everywhere you/we need to go
edit- the above can also be accessed by point the mouse to the lower left corner ,and the thumbnail of the start screen shows, right click on it ,

to get mycomputer and or any other icon to the desktop just open windows explorer and drag the mycomputer to the desktop and you will get option to create the shortcut ,I have all the icons on my desktop that I want, and use, all the time same as winxp and win7 in win8

my advice is to is ,just because its win8 its still Microsoft ,so don't forget all the things you already know ,most if not all still work with win8 ,just a little different ,maybe ,any question just ask ,if I figured out how to do it I will pass it along

I also found this registry hack to [worked fine and was safe to use no ill affects caused by applying it ] add power option[for shudowd/restart options ] to the desktop right click dropdown
http://www.askvg.com/add-cascading-menu-for-restart-shut-down-hibernate-and-other-power-shortcuts-in-desktop-context-menu-of-windows-7-and-8/

Edited by caperjac, 23 September 2012 - 06:20 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 tx3000

tx3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Want to know what causes major problems on the internet, is comments like this:

You don't pay those people to help you - and hence they have no moral or legal obligation to explain everything to you just the way you want. People provide all this help to you for free.

I am sick to death of bullbleep comments like that, and I absolutely despise people such as yourself, and anyone who abides by that. That is lamest cop-out bullbleep excuse for being lazy there ever was. I have zero tolerance for this type of provocational behavior. Free is absolutely no excuse to try and say that. Don't come up with something, post it on the net, then get pissy when someone comes in asking, then send them elsewhere then have others defend you. If you can take the time provide the sentences GO LOOK ELSEWHERE, then you can take the time to actually help.

So if you cannot help then don't bother posting bullbleep and wasting every ones time. All you're doing is causing problems by pissing people off with bullbleep. A place like this is designed for people to come and get help, but when they do, they get sent away elsewhere. Coming here is obviously a compete bleep waste of time because the only thing people want to do here is cause problems with people.

There is no point in having a place like this for people to come ask for help, then sending them away and making absolutely sure you post the "It's FREE" problem causing comment.

If I could get this site shut down, I would, because none of you deserve to be here simply for pulling this stunt.

Even though you will still post a reply despite me saying I'm not coming back, I still am going to tell the both of you jack asses:
Don't bother posting a reply because I won't be coming back to this place, I'll go somewhere that people really will help when they create a forum for it.

Edited by tx3000, 25 September 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

[quote name='tx3000' timestamp='1348587231' post='2850956']

[quote
Don't bother posting a reply because I won't be coming back to this place, I'll go somewhere that people really will help when they create a forum for it.
[/quote]
WOW,nice to meet you too

Edited by caperjac, 25 September 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am sick to death of bullbleep comments like that, and I absolutely despise people such as yourself, and anyone who abides by that. That is lamest cop-out bullbleep excuse for being lazy there ever was. I have zero tolerance for this type of provocational behavior. Free is absolutely no excuse to try and say that. Don't come up with something, post it on the net, then get pissy when someone comes in asking, then send them elsewhere then have others defend you. If you can take the time provide the sentences GO LOOK ELSEWHERE, then you can take the time to actually help.

So if you cannot help then don't bother posting bullbleep and wasting every ones time. All you're doing is causing problems by pissing people off with bullbleep. A place like this is designed for people to come and get help, but when they do, they get sent away elsewhere. Coming here is obviously a compete bleep waste of time because the only thing people want to do here is cause problems with people.

There is no point in having a place like this for people to come ask for help, then sending them away and making absolutely sure you post the "It's FREE" problem causing comment.

If I could get this site shut down, I would, because none of you deserve to be here simply for pulling this stunt.

Even though you will still post a reply despite me saying I'm not coming back, I still am going to tell the both of you jack asses:

All that you did in your first post was spitting off random annoyances and ranting about problems you had and not explaining any problem that you had to us in detail - still me and @caperjac tried hard to understand what you meant and to help you as far as we could.

I didn't just make an "IT'S FREE" comment, I only wanted you to understand that people are not your servants for them to be doing everything that you ask for. They help you because they are good, you should be grateful about it. 'Cause if you were, there'd be a lot more people willing to help you. You were not at all polite in asking for help but we still tried to help you.

The Internet is not your or your Dad's property. Anyone, anywhere can post whatever they want, however they want. What you might not understand might be very helpful for a ton of other people(I'm still wondering why you couldn't find what you wanted when there loads of amazingly detailed tuts on the web on almost anything). Nobody can satisfy everybody, what might work for some might not work for somebody else. People post what they want on the internet, because it's the only medium left with complete freedom of speech. You try to censor it and netizens will screw you up. People will do what they want, join and thank them if you want to - otherwise get the hell out of there. Instead of complaining and whining about the problems you face and people not being able to provide you with your version of their solution, it's best to find a solution yourself, that suits you best - that's what the internet is all about.

And, oh, yeah, it was nice talking to you. I don't get to see nutjobs like you everyday, so it was a great experience. :wink:

And, come back if you want to, you're still welcome. :) Yeah, we're that good. :P

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 25 September 2012 - 12:50 PM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

quote ,tx3000---Instead what people should be doing with their efforts is either explaining how to attach the control panel to this metro start menu,

For tx3000 or anyone else that reads this .also im not very educated so putting words on paper was never my strong suit, passed all my oral exams .lol
its already there ,just right click on the metro start screen and a tool bar will pop up with a icon that says ,ALL APPS ,click and you will see everything that in the start button of winxp/vista/win7 ,ect ect

Edited by caperjac, 25 September 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hmm .. a little harsh no?

First of all, the questions answered in the forums, and for the most part all forums out there, are answered by volunteers. I don't think that means the answers should be vague due to this, but as a site owner there is no way to enforce that they provide ALL of the info you are requesting.

As the owner of the site, the only thing I can make sure I do is make sure the information presented in our tutorials, that does not require user interaction is complete. I think we have a pretty good track record for that.

When it comes to forums, though, there are people of all skill levels answering these questions. Just because they explain in a way that a user doesn't understand is not wrong. What is wrong is when the user states that they don't understand and the helper does not offer further guidance. That is something we do not tolerate.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

I realise you are not going to see this reply, but I wanted to point out to our other readers that this forum has an array of such instructions found under different forum posts.

I used your quote above as an example. I underlined one of your questions, which is why didn't anyone explain where the "My Computer" ICON is located or how one can create it.

That topic is infact covered and it is covered by several forum members. Below is the link to that thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic419785.html

If you had visited page 2 of the WIndows 8 forums you would have seen that thread. All you would have done was a bit of searching and you would have came up with your answer.

You also could have created your own post with those details so other users would have an easier task of following an easier path to windows 8's hidden features (such as the "Control Panel" or "My Computer" and people like me would have been most greatful to you for that and the time you took to think of an easier way of doing things and sharing it with the rest of us. :thumbup2:

Kind regards as always....

Bruce.

Edited for spacing errors.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 September 2012 - 08:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users