Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word Causing Keyboard Errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RyanMakesMovies

RyanMakesMovies

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've been using MS Word and other Office applications for a while on my desktop, but recently Word has been acting weird. While it's running, certain keys will stop working; most recently, the c, v, and h keys. Even the on-screen keyboard's c, v, and h wouldn't do anything. However ctrl+c and ctrl+v still worked. And when I close Word, the keys return to normal. Although maybe unrelated, other times while running Word, if I click anywhere on the page, it highlights as though I'm holding shift. This also occurs other places like explorer as well (highlighting files instead of selecting them.) But when I close Word it seems to fix the problem.

Another strange occurrence that is likely entirely unrelated (but I'm putting here just in case):
The last time this happened, I restarted my computer. However, before it even got the windows loading screen, it would just go black and have a blinking cursor in the corner. I wasn't able to boot to safe mode or anything. I tried restarting several times, and just as I was about to post a message on here about it, it booted up just fine.

I've run Malwarebytes to see if there's anything awry on my system, but it hasn't turned up anything so far.

I recently got a new keyboard (Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0). Could this possibly be the cause of at least part of it?

Cheers,
Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi RyanMM,

It is possible that the problem lies with your new wireless keyboard, or rather with the wireless link since all wireless links can suffer from interference. A very simple check would be to beg, borrow or steal a USB connected keyboard and see if the problems still occur. A slightly more complicated check would be to install the keyboard on a friend's computer and try it on that.

If they do, the problems is inside your computer, probably with the Word software. If they don't, then it is almost certainly a problem with the keyboard or its connection and, since you say it is new, I would go and have a chat with your supplier and see what they say.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 PC Learner

PC Learner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hi Ryan,

I too have experienced the same Word issues on my system – for quite a few months actually – particular keys will begin printing characters totally unrelated to the keyboard face, it occurs in both Office Outlook and MS Word. I do recall at some time reading in a Windows Secrets newsletter that it is a ‘bug’ of sorts in Word 2003, but don’t quote me on that because I could have read it somewhere else too.

Like you, I found the issue goes simply after I close and reopen the application, whether Word or Outlook. I do not need to restart my system. It can be frustrating, or more so, simply annoying, but it only takes a moment to save/close/open whichever program and all is honky dory once more.

I haven’t experienced your other issues, nor do I use a wireless keyboard – USB connected – my sense is it is simply a MS System Glitch [Good Luck I Truly Can’t Help] and we simply need to work around it until Microsoft get on top of it.

Happy Key-stroking… :busy:
Nardine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users