Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mirroring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rodarian

rodarian

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. So here is the deal. We have a hard drive that we are sure is going bad, so we bought a new identical hard drive and just want to mirror it from hard drive that is on the outs before it dies. It is a store bought computer so windows7 home premium was already installed. Is mirroring possible with home premium or just with professional, ultimate, etc.. What is the best avenue to take from here as we have already installed the second hard drive only to find out that we cant mirror it and do not want to buy a new OS. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2012 - 07:58 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

You might need clonezilla in this case, here is a link or tutorial so you can save your current OS. http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone . I would first try backing up all contents first, before proceeding with the disc cloning. I don't know what mirroring you after but you might mean imaging or cloning your hard drive to a new drive...

Tekken

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium does not natively support RAID. This would require the use of third party software. If you simply copy the contents of the entire drive over to a new one, it will not work. Windows will have to be reinstalled. You should contact the manufacturer, explain the situation, and ask about a restore disk.

In the meantime, you will have to manually transfer your data over to a new drive.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks guys, the operation was successful. We did just want to mirror the 2 HDD's but as MD stated, win7 home premium does not support RAID so we did as jhayz said and did imaging. Here's the funniest part. The HDD that was making all the noise is now making no noise and working perfectly. Hmmm, ponderous. Either way, good or bad HDD, we're all set and prepared incase it decides to go kaput. Thanks again for your help and consider this issue closed. :thumbsup:

Rod

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Glad to help. Just remember, data isn't important data unless you have it stored in 2 different places :wink:
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users