Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer alternative (hacked explorer...)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 golemus

golemus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Do you know if there is an alternative or hack/modification for windows explorer that would modify the following menu:

Posted Image

I think it would make Explorer much more usable if you could decide the content of this menu. Now there is far too much things that I never click (like Homegroup, Libraries, -username-, Network, Control Panel, the the top alternatives, etc..)

You can actually get more content to this menu by creating folders to your desktop as they will become items. The problem is that if you put shortcuts to other folders on the desktop they will not be shown.

Ideally I would want it (especially under the horizontal line) show only items that I have chosen, including shortcuts to folders in other hard drives.

Any good ideas...?

And btw... it is the same in Windows 8, there is absolutely nothing of added value in Win8 explorer compared to Win7, ribbon does not bring anything useful at all.

Edited by golemus, 22 September 2012 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

In my opinion the best option is to use a alternative File manager...

- Total Commander (Shareware)
- CubicExplorer
- FreeCommander
- Explorer++
- Master Commander
- Multi Commander

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

I use Directory Opus. It's not cheap, but it's the best File Manager available.

#4 golemus

golemus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

bump. any more opinions...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users