Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FILE PATHES TOO LONG

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcvictim

pcvictim

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Over the years I have copied and moved a lot of the same files to many different locations and now I guess it is coming back to haunt me..

2 questions please:

1.how do I fix the ones that wont copy or move because of the path

2.which one is better on the path length moving a file or copying it

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Please...post the specific error message you received when attempting to copy/move such files.

Louis

#3 pcvictim

pcvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

thank you for the quick reply...It said something like it is over 260 characters..these were downloaded rar files that I could not unrar..the one I cant delete on right click does nothing at all and no right click menu either.thank you

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

The maximum file and path length are 255 (give or take 1) in NTSF. Your RAR files and their path must be OK because they already exist. You cannot move or copy the RAR files into any path that exceeds 255. That goes for the content too. If I understand your problem correctly, you need to UnRAR into a folder with a path length short enough to accommodate the extracted filenames. I would then shorten the filenames and transfer to the folder you really want them in. Moving or copying makes no difference if the destination path is too long.

Some people seem to write essays for filenames which also makes viewing in Explorer a pain when they disappear at the end of the column. I usually cut the BS out of such files if they have been created by someone else - I limit to 100. Long filenames are also an issue when burning to DVDs (Joliet) or other digital devices (my phone limits names to 50).

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

See if this would help software can help your long path error message http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

Tekken

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

thank you for the quick reply...It said something like it is over 260 characters..these were downloaded rar files that I could not unrar..the one I cant delete on right click does nothing at all and no right click menu either.thank you

When did you lose your right click options?

Download

Autoruns

Extract and launch autoruns.exe

Allow the scan to get finished

Now click on FILE-SAVE

Filename:Autoruns.txt
Save as :Text

Paste the text contents here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users