Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot copy DVDs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BEDO

BEDO

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi there, Iím new to this forum so please forgive me if Iím posting in the wrong place.
I use Record Now for copying and burning itís Sonic/Roxio software.
Up to very recently I have been able to copy DVDs I have made myself with no problems, the last one was on August 27th this year, however When I try to copy even the same disc that was OK in August Record now reads the disc and asks for a blank disc to be inserted, you do this and after a few seconds it ejects the disk asking for a blank disc. I have no trouble copying a CD it is only DVDs. I had a nose round the web and found many people complaining about this problem, but the date of these were either 2005 or 2006 and nothing since, incidentally there didnít seem to be any answers. I have used the same discs I always use, I did try an other make with the same results. I just wonder if any of you nice people have had a similar problem and hopefully found the answer Any help would be appreciated.
Ron.

O.S Windows XP 3 Media Center Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

It may be that the DVD Laser has weakened and the CDRom laser is OK.

When You say the same disk do you mean the same spindle (Batch) or a new set of the same brand? If a new purchase of the same brand they may have changed the discs.

I suppose you tried backing up data to the DVD Drive and it did not burn either?

And of course over the years I have seen many worn out Optical drives that just get flaky and then die entirely.

Have you been seeing power calibration errors?

AS a test try ImgBurn http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn It is all I use. To test with it you would choose Create Image File from Disc Then Write Image file to Disc

Just remember not to install the toolbar when installing it. I use ImgBurn for CDs, DVDs and BluRays.
Also if you choose Write Files/Folder to Disc , then Tools, Drive then go to the bottom of that and select Check for firmware updates to see if you are up to date.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the post Roger. I did install a new drive and checked to make sure it was up to date. I did try Img burn and tried to make a ISO but I think it was me but I just couldn't get my head round using the thing, must be me Old dogs new tricks. ( didn't install the toolbar, very careful not to install any of the toolbars etc that are offered on most free downloads. The fact that I can copy and burn CDs would suggest I could burn a data file if I wanted to.
I have ruined so many discs trying various methods that I'm loathed to burn data I don't really need.
I might use your link to download Img burn and try to follow your guidance as carefully as I can.
Many thanks.
Ron.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#5 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hi Roger and Louis,
I downloaded Imgburn. unfortunately I have had no luck. Firstly when I tried to Create Image File from Disc I got the following dialogue box saying ďSorry writing read mode to create an image file from a multitrack DVD-ROM disc is not currently supported .
Instead, use build mode to create a new clean image based on the contents of the disc.

This I did having had a bit of a job to find my way round, and after a time it said with ringing bells it was successful. Unfortunately WMP or Power DVD canít play the file it is an ISO. file.

I expect itís me doing something wrong not anything to do with Imgburn. I am grateful for both your help.
Ron.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

VLC media player @ http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VLC-media-player

VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. VLC can also convert, capture/record and be used as a server to stream video.

This what I use to play music and video files. It plays from an ISO also. It has most every codec built in so you don't need to add them.

I thought you wanted to copy DVDs? If so just Burn the ISO image with imgburn. You can test it with VLC first. Are these by chance from a DVD recorder?

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hello BEDO,

Per the instructions presented by both Roger and Louis, you're halfway there if you successfully created an "Iso" file from a DVD disc.

Now all you need to do is take that "Iso" file and Write image file to disc.

• Insert a new recordable DVD disk into the DVDROM drive.
  • Run ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file that you just created.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Finally, try to open the newly created duplicate of your original DVD

If successful, we know that the DVD laser works and you now have an alternative way to copy DVDs.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Roger & Artrooks
You nice people will get really fed up with me. Although I had already done the Write Image file to disk and Source" click on the "folder icon" to the right and select the "iso" file that you just created.That ended up as a Video-TS Type VOB file that didn't play on VLC or any other players I have, I went through the motions again just in case I had made a mistake, but no the finished file ended just the same as a Video-TS VOB file that will not play Grrrrr. :crazy:
I shall soon run out of blank DVD-R unfortunately Imgburn won't accept RWs it says Device not ready (incompatible medium installed)
Unless you feel strong enough give up on me I promise I won't mind , you have all done your best, thank you for your help and patience.
Ron.

Edited by BEDO, 23 September 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Does the ISO play in VLC?

Once VLC is installed you just right click on the ISO and choose play with VLC.
Actually With ImgBurn I do the same thing but choose open with ImgBurn.

Are these disks coming from a DVD Recorder?

I want to see If I can suggest something to try and fix the structure if so.

Also Can you post the files in the VIDEO_TS structure.
A standard DVD should have AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folders.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 September 2012 - 12:37 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#10 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thank you Roger
No, the ISO does not play in VLC.

Yes, the original file was recorded on a Panasonic DMR-ES30VE8 but the disc I'm using is a copy of that made when I could copy DVDs

Ron.

Edited by BEDO, 23 September 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi,
When you look at the bottom of the DVD does the burned part look normal?
What brand of Blank?

I myself use Verbatim AZO disks. I also use Sony for things where I do not care about how long they will last.

Another way to approach the problem.
Since these are disks you made, You should be able to create a folder on the hard drive, and using My Computer just copy everything from the DVD to that folder.
Test play with VLC, Pick the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and right click on it and choose play with VLC. It should play fine. If so move to the next step. Burn with ImgBurn.
Open ImgBurn and select Write Files / Folder to disk then click the Posted Image to the right and select the folder where the DVD is stored, in my case disk 1. Then Imgburn if you are displaying the Information Tab will offer to set it properly for a DVD disk when you click the calculator icon if it is set wrong currently. Then clicking Burn Posted Image just make sure you do not select put the folder on the disk in the root, Only the files as they need to be in the root directory of the disk.

If it plays before burning and not after then most likely a hardware problem.

Note that copy to your drive like that will not work with commercial disks due to copy protection.

Thanks to Artrooks post for the art work.
Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 September 2012 - 11:48 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#12 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi Roger,
I was hoping I would be able to post this before you had spent any more time on this.
Thanks to you mentioning "was it recorded on a video recorder" it set me thinking the answer was yes it was, but it was recorded from Virgin Xbox on their catchup facility, and I think it most likely takes a form of DRM with it when you record the program, just to test this theory I looked to see if I had a recording that was recorded direct from a Video recorder and I had, so made a copy of that and it recorded perfectly. I can only apologize for giving you so much trouble, but it was you that really solved the problem in mentioning about the video recorder.
Very many thanks to all who have tried to help and a special thank you to yourself.
Ron.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yup, that would explain it.

Thanks for coming back and explaining the solution to the problem.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users