Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Internet Access Via Broadband

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akirabomb

akirabomb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:16 AM

My father is deadset on upgrading to broadband, but only if he's 100% sure it's not going to cost way too much to set up the network between our two computers on that broadband connection. I had an absolute headache trying to get the p2p network set up on our computers, one running XP Pro, the other on Win98.

With broadband would we beable to set that network up again, even if both are running a different OS? Is a broadband connection different from a dialup connection? Are new modems needed? I know you need a new one for the main computer connecting to broadband, but does that mean new network cards, or something?

I apologise for my lack of terminology here, I'm learning, slowly.

If anyone has some information, or possibly links to useful information on this I'd really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm guessing it might be a good idea to update the older computer to win XP as well instead of running win98? (Win98 is Dad's computer, he's happy with that for some strange reason. I prefer XP. *shrugs* If it means getting broadband I'm sure he'll change his mind).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:24 AM

All you need it a router and 2 ethernet cables and you are up in about 30 minutes. I recommed Linksys NR041-wm router. If you are looking for cheap that is the way to go. I have been youing that same model for years. You do not need a modem for each computer, you need a NIC (Network Interface Card). I would recommend staying away from USB NICs, If you look on the back of your computer you may already have one installed. It will look like a large telephone port. If you have that, that is all you need. xcept two ethernet cables. Setting up the router is effortless.
If you have questions we are alway available.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

Just anothing thing when you get broadband you will need a modem but often you can buy this from the cable or phone compagny or rent it for about 10$ a month. Then from the modem you will have an ethernet line (big phone jack kind of thing) and run that into the WAN port of the router and a router is only about 40$-50$ and cheaper if you get some mail in rebates and stuff. Then you run one ethernet line to one computer and another one the other. The router is basically plug and play. I you don't have an ethernet jack on either one or both computers (espicially that win98 machine) you will have to buy a network card. These cost about 10-20$. You install these drivers (easy to do) and then your all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users