Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Activity keeps bouncing to 100% on brand new laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 omghulkhands

omghulkhands

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Greetings,

I recently purchased a new Sony Vaio E series Laptop model number VPCEG3WFX for my girlfriend. The laptop was preinstalled with Win 7 home and constantly stuttered, lagged and was nonresponsive for short periods of time, we are talking 7-10 seconds and then back to normal for 30 or seconds and then back to lagging. I figured this was just bloatware causing the issue so I removed it, but there was no change. I went ahead and freshly installed windows 8 on the laptop (which I received from my CIO at work) and still the problem exists.

If I go to resource monitor and view disc activity the computer will spike to 100% highest active time every 15-20 seconds and that is with me doing absolutely nothing but leaving it sit on the table. I have determined that when I top out at 100% is when I start getting lag and unresponsiveness.

Let me know if there is anything you guys want to see and I will get it to you ASAP, I have posted some screen shots of the resource monitor as well.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cap4.PNG   97.77KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  cap1.PNG   54.6KB   14 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I would have not touched the current OS installed as the option would be to return it under warranty conditions. It may be a hardware problem in the end...

Tekken

#3 omghulkhands

omghulkhands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I would have not touched the current OS installed as the option would be to return it under warranty conditions. It may be a hardware problem in the end...

I called Sony and luckily that was not an issue. Thank God.

The real problem is that because all diagnostic checks come back clear I doubt they will switch out any of my hardware and in the end just reinstall windows if I were to send it in.

Anyone know how to sabotage a hard drive? lol

In all seriousness though does this sound more like a motherboard issue and a straight up hard drive issue?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Did you checked for any high temperature readings as this could also cause system sluggishness? What particular activities does being unresponsive occurs?

Tekken

#5 omghulkhands

omghulkhands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Did you checked for any high temperature readings as this could also cause system sluggishness? What particular activities does being unresponsive occurs?

Temps have been normal.

It is embarrassing to admit, but I just noticed THE INSANE RESPONSE TIMES in the picture I posted, multiple items in the thousands.

This is basically constant, sometimes there is just one process insane high response time, but usuually there are multiple in the thousands running at all times. I have tried reseating the hard drive, reinstalling windows, downloading every possible driver I could think of, changing power settings to optimum and turning off some services like superfetch as suggested in another forum to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

Have you tried booting to safe mode to see if the issue still occurs?

At the hardware level, a faulty read/write head could be causing the problem. Although unlikely, it is a possibility
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm not sure if this is still a problem in Vista and 7, but I have run into the same situation multiple times in Windows XP. The SATA/ATA controller reverts to PIO mode instead of DMA. PIO mode is super slow. It will show 100% cpu usage with no process actually using any cpu. It's at least worth looking into.

DMA Reverts to PIO Mode

#8 omghulkhands

omghulkhands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I can confirm the problem persists after replacing the hard drive, but it took a couple days to start seeing the symptoms again.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

There are 2 issues I have encountered with 2 Sony Vaio laptops. The one I used to own was a stuttering sound effect when browsing and playing media/music files. The fix was an update from the manufacturer support site which around that time is a notification from the Vaio Utility. Reading thru the contents of updates seems that Sony was aware of certain glitches. In the end, I have to hand it to my cousin as upgrade is inevitable during that time. The 2nd Vaio laptop which becomes sluggish even at early usage was due to excessive heat. The hardware cleaning and maintenance solve the problem.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users