Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal HD to external HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jxm1092

jxm1092

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

I have an old hard drive from a computer that I put in a case to use as an external hard drive. When I click on it from My Computer it shows 149GB of storage but only 141GB available. Should I reformat the drive to clear up space and turn it into just a plain HD? If so whats the best way to do this? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

Those number are correct its normal some differences on size because the file system structures reserve some disk space.
If you want to remove everything from the disk and start fresh you only need to format the disk, open My computer, right click the drive and select format.
Use the quick format option if you know if the Hard Disk is fine, if not sure do a normal format, it will take long time but will check the disk for bad sectors.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

FWIW: Hard Drive Size Differential - http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=615

But...you should see 149GB, not 141.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Do a screen capture reflecting all drives, partitions, etc...and post it. My guess is that you have a hidden partition taking up the 8GB differential.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like a rescue/restore partition if you had Windows, possibly a swap partition for Linux.

Regardless, 141 is not the "correct number". Manufacturers use a different definition of gigabyte, somewhere between 148-150 is the expected available space for a 160GB hard drive.

You don't need to go through the entire disk format process to check for bad sectors. In the unlikely event that you don't have a second partition, you can check for bad sectors by running command prompt and typing "chkdsk /r".
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users