Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS won't read hard drive anymore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

I recently built my own computer out of a Newegg combo deal. Here is the deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1069084

After plugging in the parts, I went to install Windows 7. Windows 7 then gave this error.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

I then deleted the partitions off the new 2 TB drive, and installed a new partition in Windows 7 setup. The error persisted. I have tried to reset boot priority to the non-UEFI CD reader, then the hard drive, then the UEFI CD reader.

Eventually, I deleted the partitions again, and tried to install new. This is when Windows said that there was no boot drive ready, or something to that extent. When I rebooted and checked BIOS, the hard drive had disappeared.

So now my BIOS attempts to boot up from 2 "drives", the non-UEFI one and the UEFI one. The hard drive has disappeared.

Are there any actions that are suggested at this time? I am positive that everything has been plugged in correctly.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

Are you installing Windows 7 32-bits? If your system have 8GB of RAM you should install Windows 7 64-bits because the 32-bits OS can only make use of approx. 3GB of RAM due to the architecture limitations.

Windows 7 x64 will install fine on a motherboard with UEFI Bios.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

It's 64 bit Windows 7.

I tried to install it, yet Windows gave the above message about GPT disks. I tried to delete the partitions and reinstall the partitions, but now Windows won't even recognize the drive.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

It's 64 bit Windows 7.

I tried to install it, yet Windows gave the above message about GPT disks. I tried to delete the partitions and reinstall the partitions, but now Windows won't even recognize the drive.

How did you create the partitions?

Edit: The motherboard have 2 storage controllers, from Intel and Asmedia (ASM1061 Storage Controller) make sure you have the extra ASM1061 enabled on the BIOS.

Edited by SleepyDude, 22 September 2012 - 10:44 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

It's 64 bit Windows 7.

How did you create the partitions?

Edit: The motherboard have 2 storage controllers, from Intel and Asmedia (ASM1061 Storage Controller) make sure you have the extra ASM1061 enabled on the BIOS.

I just created them by Windows default. I went to Custom in Windows 7 installation, then got the message that Windows could not be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1 because of aforementioned reasons (Cannot install to GPT disks). Then I deleted the partitions, and installed them new using the default 2 TB partition space. At first, this did nothing at all and Windows still didn't like the drive. I deleted it again, then tried to create another new partition. Windows did not create the partition, and claimed something about the lack of boot information on the drive. After this, I rebooted, and the drive didn't exist in BIOS anymore. The drive exists in Windows 7 setup, but I cannot install anything to it, because there is no boot information on it.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

Move the HDD to other sata port with different color and see if it makes any difference.

___
Rui

#7 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

Move the HDD to other sata port with different color and see if it makes any difference.

Alright, I'll give it a try later and see what happens.

Alright, a black part of the HDD chipped off and can't be plugged into the drive. Is it possible to glue the part back on, or is the drive busted?

Edited by ixcuincle, 22 September 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

Alright, a black part of the HDD chipped off and can't be plugged into the drive. Is it possible to glue the part back on, or is the drive busted?

If its on a corner and not on the connectors it probably will work without problems. Can you take a picture?

___
Rui

#9 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

If its on a corner and not on the connectors it probably will work without problems. Can you take a picture?

It was a black thing between the connectors, I think. It's glued together, and amazingly the hard drive is working again.

It was found chipped off, inside the case, so it might have fallen off when I was putting the drive in. I don't know how, but the drive is working, and Windows is being installed, no errors at all. It's very weird.

I will let you all know if anything develops. Building a computer is very weird, and full of problems, but once they're all fixed, and you have a functional computer, all the trouble you went through pays off. Thanks again, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users