Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no system boot, Vista home prem Dell 518 desk top, confirmation on error code 2000-0146 hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wab913

wab913

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

hello and thanks for your time. Have'ing more issue's with this computer( as expected).The other day was in middle of playing online game and system went BOD and shut down. system attempted to reboot got message system error's 2000-0142 . then restarted once again made it passed bio's page then flashing cursor then stopped , at that point I used cntrl-alt-del to restart and went to f(12) to run diagnostic . started the tests and got error message 2000-0146 contains previous error's test failed . reserched the codes and possible issue and have learned it was hard disc.or bio's related. have followed pocedures for reset to defaults and still recieve same code. guess im just asking are there more tests to check to be sure before im out $$ for new hdd when not needed . system just 2-3 yrs old . thanks for all consideration on this issue.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

First thing is to try to backup or save your files using Puppy Linux http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html#.UF1roFE4Ejm
If the procedure is a success, then you could try using a DOS CD to try and run a diagnostic test or using your OS disc for a startup repair.

Tekken

#3 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

thanks for your time . read up on what i needed.failed on getting the program to a flash disc to try and boot the system .so guess i will just buy a hdd and start from scratch.

#4 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

up date . as per a little while ago , we have sucess on puppy install.will await further direction or questions . with puppy running along bottom i see sda1 file system:ntfs size: 287.6GB , with small green icon lower right corner . sda2 : 10.5 GB , sda3 : 2 MB , sro: dvd/cd drive . just like to thank you for patience so far and ask or patience with me on this project.

Edited by wab913, 23 September 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

The sda's corresponds to your hard drive partitions. You would need to insert an external drive that is large enough to copy all your files. Instead of using copy, you can just drag by holding the mouse going to the open external drive window. So one window for the sda1/2 and the other window for the external. The link provided has instructions on transferring files but not on drag and drop files however.

Tekken

#6 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

think i follow , but asking a question here. if have new Hdd can i drag all files to new drive then disconnect old drive . set new drive as boot ( in bio's) . currently downloading vista boot cd iso to make bootable cd . as system not able to boot from usb. get no option in bio's( f12)

Edited by wab913, 23 September 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

That's a different path when you say making the new drive bootable. I think its imaging or cloning the drive and making it readily usable or bootable. I think you should need to run a hard drive test first before going to that step, but its worth a try. Were you able to backup your files using puppy?

Edited by jhayz, 23 September 2012 - 08:12 PM.

Tekken

#8 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

have'nt tryed a back up , trying now , ran back up and it show's completed( puppy files / linux) .

Edited by wab913, 23 September 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

error message 2000-0146

On the Dell threads website, some users have able to resolved this second error by setting the Hardware controller to AHCI. I have not looked at what options your desktop BIOS have but might want to check this settings first.

Tekken

#10 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

looked thru bios for AHCI no option there . running pheonix bios version 1.0.3 , have only RAID/ IDE options only

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hi wab913,

If I understand correctly, you initially received the 2000-0146 error, reset BIOS to default settings (as recommended by Dell), retested with Dell Diagnostics and received the 2000-0146 error a second time.

Most likely, the hard drive is failing.

It sounds as if you have backed up any important data on that drive. If not, I recommend that you do so as your first priority.

For a second opinion, you could run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software to again test the drive. If it fails the manufacturer's diagnostics, then you will know that it is bad.
  • You will need to create a bootable CD with the DOS version of the diagnostics linked from here:
  • Run both Short and Long tests. You will receive either a "Pass" or "Fail" with each test. A "Fail" in either test means that the drive is failing and should be replaced.
  • If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer, then unplug the A/C power cord from the tower, slide the side cover off, and have a look.

If you need more specifics regarding the testing, I can post these.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

thanks Artrooks for your reply . i have switched to a lap-top to reply to you. made the disc and ran quick test and got " fail " , continued with full media test which is currently running . will report on progress.

#13 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

:rip: , HDD toasted i am guessing . Ran test's hard error's on both quick test code : 0007 ( per definition , replace). ran long test : too many error's found code 0225 . guess only option now to install the new HDD and $$ new vista program . Or is there a copying method somehow to reinstall windows vista to machine . once again thanks for all your time and knowledge.

#14 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

As you have already discovered:

225 Too Many Errors Found
Error count reached a threshold value. There are too many errors detected on this drive to be repaired.
Replace Drive.
http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp?lang=en#v10

Yes, there are ways to make an image of your existing hard drive using an internal or external drive of the same size or larger; however, with a drive as bad as yours, this would generally only be done for data rescue purposes. You already have your data backed-up. The image would no doubt lack data (files) from the unreadable (bad) sectors, thus creating a less than perfect operating system, if it would start-up and run at all.

You have to replace the hard drive. To save future hassle, I would contact Dell for a set of replacement discs. They don't charge that much for the discs.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#15 wab913

wab913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

thanks again for you time . have been reading on cloning the drive but are concerned with probable issue's of contamination on new drive. so will direct attention to new disc's for new install. And have even considered dropping back down to window's XP on the machine .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users