Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer audio, video choppy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goobergal

goobergal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hello all. I have a Compaq Armada E500 computer running Windows XP SP3. I have tried updating all of the drivers and codecs on the computer, yet any online video and my Windows Media player still runs choppy. Any online games also run choppy. I run Google Chrome as my default browser, but also have Internet Explorer and Mozilla installed (IE for any application that does not take Chrome). This problem has been driving me crazy! Here are my computer's specs:
Microsoft Windows XP SP2, 2002 version. Intel Pentium III processor, 647 mHz, 512 mB of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

at first glance i would say you do not have enough processing power and Ram, however if your online video is buffering then it could be your internet connection.
also you could try downloading the video, shut off all unnecessary running programs and use a video player that is easier on system resources. maybe VLC would do a better job than Windows Media Player.

#3 goobergal

goobergal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Okay I will try downloading and playing in VLC. Thank you for the suggestion! It may just be my computer is too old, I should get a new one but don't have the money to.

#4 Teddy G.

Teddy G.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

#1. If this is a recent phenomenon(Month or two?), try un-installing then re-installing the latest(Recommended for your system) Adobe Flash Player, first! Worked for me!

Otherwise - I'm with you on "don't have the money" - ha! An option - IF you REALLY trust the website(???), is to turn-off(Exit) your virus protection(Not your firewall!) WHILE you are on that site - then turn it back on. VP can take a ton of your machines resources. I note you run SP2 --- some stuff may even have problems with that? Might want SP3? Can you upgrade to it? I don't remember..?

If you find yourself with a little money, you could also go to Crucial, Corsair or one of the other RAM makers websites, run their "find my RAM" app(To be absolutely sure it's the exactly right RAM!), and see if you could pickup another 512(Even 256) stick for an affordable price(50 bucks or even less?). A look at your Task manager, while something is NOT playing properly, may give you a hint as to what is being stretched - RAM or Processor or both? Just sitting here typing this, with nothing else "on", my machine, running a P-IV/1.8 mhz./756MB RAM, XP/SP3/Trend Micro VP, has 27 running services(It was almost 50 before I "manualed/disabled" a bunch)+ using 561 MB of RAM! Yeek! Need to come-up with some RAM coins, myself!

Speaking of money...... About 5 miles from my house, there's a guy who sells used laptops, and desktops when he gets them, most running Windows 7, correctly(Plenty of power!), for as low as 200 smackers. Nice, too! Gets them from a company that "leases" machines to businesses(They turn them in every so often for new ones, need 'em or not.). Maybe you have such a person near you.....? Worth a look.

Edited by Teddy G., 29 September 2012 - 10:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users