Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Image Software Needed for HP Mini 110

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello Bleepers!

Hoping someone out there can help me with my problem, I'l try to explain it as clearly as possible. If anything is unclear please come back with your questions... OK.

BACKGROUND + PROBLEM

I have a HP Mini 110 which has stopped working, fortunately it's still within warranty and I've been in discussions with HP about fixing it. I've managed to push back the collection date for them to take the machine and fix it to the 16th October 2012. However, in discussions with them I understand that during the process to fix the unknown problem they may need to wipe the hard drive.

This is something I can't afford to happen. I've a number of files (photos / spreadsheet / documents etc) on the drive that I do not have copies of and can not replace ( and yes before anyone says it - I know I should have taken backups!!! ).

So far I've been able to remove the hard drive from the machine and slave it to another machine I own to view - and recover some of the data, but I'm not confident I'm capturing absolutely everything on the drive. I'm not too bothered about Programs - it's all about the files. I've tried the Search Function using *.xls / *.doc / *.jpg etc to seek out the files and move them across to my other machine but as I say, I'm not sure I'm getting everything.

HP tell me they need the ORIGINAL HAR DRIVE to be returned with the HP Mini 110 so they can conduct "tests" to determine the problem. I personally thing it's the motherboard but they know best.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS(???)

I don't know whether this is possible, but I'm coming to you in the hope you are able to suggest a solution... I was thinking about some sort of Disc Image Program that I can use to backup the entire drive. I should have said at the start that I've scanned the HP Mini 110's drive for viruses and ran chkdsk on it. Virus scan results - clear, chkdsk results - some errors corrected. After the errors were corrected I tried re-installing the hard drive to reboot - same result: Boots to HP Logo then freezes with F9 / F10 menu options visible but non responsive.

I should also mention, I understand the general warranty situation, where opening up a machine is concerned - I've discussed this with HP and I'm on safe ground.

Hopefully I've covered all of the obvious responses I would expect to get... if there is anything I've missed, please share your thoughts OR ask further questions....

So, in brief, I'm searching for a way to ensure I'm not missing any of the files (more than programs) for backup before collection day: 16th OCTOBER 2012.

I'm on the verge of considering buying a new HP Mini 110 purely to install the hard drive to be able to view it as the main drive (in preference to a drive letter) to properly navigate the contents. I'm hoping it won't have to come to this.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Pensive By Nature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

Yes you can do a full image backup using Macrium Reflect Free you will need some free space on other HDD to created the backup.
The image can be later mounted so it shows like a normal disk with a drive letter where you can access all the files inside.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

One thing that occurs to me is to use the Xcopy command. To do that you need a Administrator command prompt in Vista or Windows 7. Start, All Programs, Accessories, Right Click on the Command Prompt icon and choose Run as Administrator.

The replacing X: with the source drives letter and Y: with the destination drive letter, Make a destination folder then type:
Xcopy X:\ Y:\Destination folder /s /e /w /c /i /f /h /k /v /r

That should do it. Then compare to source file count to the destination file count.

The Xcopy Instructions can be viewed by typing xcopy /?

This is what I've used since Before windows under DOS.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Macrium Reflect is fast, free, and reliable.

Make an image of the entire hard drive, since hidden partitions may be involved.

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

The good thing is if HP replaces the drive they will put it back to like new as far as software. They do no data recovery as that isn't considered part of warranty so good idea to backup.

You may find the drive being replaced.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hi,

I forget to mention if you create a image now and when you receive the laptop from HP you do a full restore all the programs, settings and files you have now will be on the same place. This will work if the laptop have some hardware problem and they replace with the same hardware.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi Everyone,
I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond to my original post. I'm going to try out the suggestions that have been left for me, I was looking for something that would take into consideration the partitions on the drive and I'm hoping the first suggestion "Macrium Reflect Free" handles it OK.

Regarding space, I should have enough drive space on other drives to execute both solutions posted above. So again, thank you!

If I have any further questions or run into problems I'll be in touch within the next few hours :)

Regards,
Pensive By Nature

#8 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Guys and Girls, I'm back!

Finally got around to using the Macrium Reflect Free software recommended to me in a previous post.

After reviewing the options open to me, I decided to go with the "Clone" function. The process took about 45 minutes to complete.

I reviewed the contents of both drives, source and target to ensure the "total data size" and "total file quantity" matched on both drives. The process was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. But I still have a few questions..... before I give back the Original Drive to HP.

In theory... If my HP Mini 110 Machine was working, and I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the original drive (as I have), before loading the Target drive into the machine, would I be right in thinking that the Target drive should boot up without issue or any problems. Or should I expect there to be driver issues?

I ask this because once HP have fixed the machine, and returned it back to me (possibly with a new hard drive) I will want to open up the machine to load the Target drive to see if it works as I hope it should.

I think that's the only question I have left in my mind about this program. Hope someone out there is able to answer based on their experience. Thanks again in advance!
Pensive By Nature

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm not completely clear on whether you mean clone back to the HP drive when they return it or if you mean put the drive you cloned to into the computer.

It does make a difference since if you restore your clone and it didn't clone problem free you have then also wiped out the Windows on the Mini's drive.

It sounds like you mean change the drive when they return it to you. IF so don't forget to check and see if your contents are still there.

Not having used that software I'm not familiar with how good it is.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi Roger,

I guess my last message wasn't the clearest to understand.

I'm wanting to know if the clone drive (the drive I've copied the contents to) will work if I put it into the machine after HP fix the machine and return it. In other words, swapping out the new hard drive HP will provide with the fixed machine so that I can use the clone drive - as is.
Pensive By Nature

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

If the drive you cloned to, cloned properly then it should boot and run fine. I had a suspicion that was what you were asking. I just wanted to be sure.

Good Luck on the repair
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

A clone...is an exact copy.

If a hard drive boots and is not defective...just before it is cloned...and it is cloned properly...the new cloned drive will boot because it's an exact copy of the original boot drive.

It's that simple.

Louis

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Plenty I wish I could understand about this backup stuff. Disc Image versus Cloning is what I am interested. When do you use Disc Imaging? When use Cloning? How is disc image NOT a clone?

Goal: Make a series of backups (images or clones?) so that one day, if computer hard drive stops functioning, a new one hopefully of higher capacity (must be bigger than current 30 GB HDD) is put in as replacement. Then, I want to put the latest backup onto the new HDD in the computer. I do not know what the tasks of the whole process would be. Is a restoration disc needed for this? What? What else?

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

My understanding of the difference is:

A Clone is an exact copy every file is the same and a bootable drives clone will still be bootable.

A Image should be everything needed to restore a drive and have it be the exact same as the time the image was made. However that does not mean individual files are accessible until the image is restored to a drive. A .ISO file is an example of an image file. It is one file until it is burned onto a disk by burning software that knows what a ISO file is then it becomes all the files.

Example you can create a .ISO file from your windows disk and you will end up with one file. When you use burning software that knows what a ISO file is it will recreate the Windows Disk. ImgBurn is an example of such software as is Nero.

They both have benefits versus the other. Clones will wipe the destination drive so one clone per drive. Images as long as the name is different can be added to a drive without wiping as long as there is room.

So with a clone you can get to individual files easy. With an Image you need special software or to restore it.

I hope that clarifies it for you
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 October 2012 - 09:43 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

rotor123,

Your description explains a little, but not enough to easily decide which is best. Impression is that if one want to prepare for restoring a hardrive with all files, applications, programs, and settings, then disc image be the right choice. The user might not know onto which hard drive the backup will be restored, but user wants a file (backup) that can be put back onto any HDD, onto anywhere. Good?

If restore to same kind of hard drive, then user can choose clone? Is this correct?

If user restore to still unknown new or different hard drive, then user can choose image? Yes? No?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users