Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Factory reset problem

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mmatt

mmatt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi.
I have a Toshiba Satellite a500-19x which is about 2 years old. I have had problems with factory reset on the laptop and would like some advice on what might be the problem.

I have done a factory reset on the laptop a few times and each time there was a problem, which I will do my best to explain. What happens is as follows -

Starts factory reset and all goes well. Asks for User Name, Keyboard Layout ect starts to install setup and then start up to a brand new homepage.Next it shuts down. Automatically boots up again, goes through this all again 'Installing setting for System Restore' and then shuts down, boots up and repeat and repeat.

It will do this for maybe 30 minutes before it stops. The computer will turn on and work fine after like factory new.

I brought it back to the shop and they said something about Windows was not installed properly on the laptop at the start and that is why it done it.

The hard drives crashed about a year ago and were replaced through the shop and all worked fine.

However now I would like to preform a factory reset just to spruce up the laptop but am afraid it will still have this problem.

Any help/suggestions or fixes would be appreciate and feel free to ask for more info in case I left anything out.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

How are you doing the system restore. Is it from a partition on the Hard Drive or through a set of recovery disks. If you are doing it from the hard drive and the drive was going bad this could have caused the problem. Also if a shop reinstalled the operating system they may not have put the recovery partition on the drive. In this case you would need recovery discs. If you do not have them, they can be ordered through the manufacturer.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi,
As I understand it the system recovery did work? It was just that you did not think it was supposed to do restarts? As I remember it the restarts are a part of the process.

See if you can make the recovery disk set first.

I ask that since the shop may have cloned your old dying drive with the recovery partition or just went ahead and installed a OEM Windows using the license off of the bottom of the laptop and downloading the drivers and software from Toshiba. IF they did the latter then you don't have a recovery partition and will need to order the disks from Toshiba.
Drivers and Utilities and software are available through here: https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp
No login required, That is for the forums. Just click the Download tab and enter the required model information.

Or You can Order Toshiba Recovery Disks here. https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp

Recovery Media is available for Toshiba computers sold by Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. in the United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central and South America, and portions of the Caribbean. If you purchased your Toshiba computer elsewhere, please contact the Toshiba subsidiary where you purchased it for information about recovery media.

Snipped.

If you choose to order Recovery Media, please note there's a shipping and handling fee. The actual amount depends on the model and shipping address. All sales final.

That takes a few days.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the reply's first.

589661 - I have done the restore from hitting F8 on start up and following the on screen instructions. I dont have recovery discs and I have never seen a recovery partition on my drives.

On my previous laptop which was a Dell running Vista, factory restore ran brilliantly never had to used discs but it had a separate drive/partition called Recovery.
As for it restarting and restarting, while using Vista it never done this and booting up from restore start away. Perhaps 7 restores differently.

So this might be a stupid question can I make discs myself that will restore my laptop to factory or is my restore working and I am been stupid and think that it is not.

#5 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply's first.

589661 - I have done the restore from hitting F8 on start up and following the on screen instructions. I dont have recovery discs and I have never seen a recovery partition on my drives.

On my previous laptop which was a Dell running Vista, factory restore ran brilliantly never had to used discs but it had a separate drive/partition called Recovery.
As for it restarting and restarting, while using Vista it never done this and booting up from restore start away. Perhaps 7 restores differently.

So this might be a stupid question can I make discs myself that will restore my laptop to factory or is my restore working and I am been stupid and think that it is not.

Hi Mmatt,

If it is a new computer it usually comes with a tool on the computer to make a set of recovery disks but it only works once. If the shop where you had the computer restored did it correctly using the proper recovery media then chances are that the software to make recovery media is installed in the computer.
Look under all programs and look for "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator". Instructions on using this tool can be found here

If that fails the next best thing to do is to order Recovery Media through Toshiba like rotor123 had suggested

Drivers and Utilities and software are available through here: https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp
No login required, That is for the forums. Just click the Download tab and enter the required model information.

There is one more solution i can offer and that is to get a hold of an OEM disk and use it to instal the version of windows that you have using they key printed on the valid widows sticker on the side of the computer.

Scott

Edited by 589661, 21 September 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#6 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thanks..I have never used the program so it should be there. Reguarding the program does it do it automatically or will I have to select the files I want. And also then how do I do a factory reset using these discs.

I would try the F8 way and follow the instructions but am a bit afraid in case it really doesnt work and somehow my laptop won't boot up.

#7 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hello Mmatt,

Its not weather or not you have used the program before but weather or not the repair shop you brought it to placed in the original software from the manufacturer.

When you make the disks it will not backup your files it will only make disks with the image of the operating system, driver, and software that came with the machine.

When you use the disks you should place the first disk in restart the machine hit the proper button to get into the boot menu. then you shall choose to boot from cd. just follow the on screen prompts from there.

Scott

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

The hard drives crashed about a year ago and were replaced through the shop and all worked fine.

if the shop added a new harddrive and didn't recreate the recovery partition ,and just install a copy of windows using you windows key ,then no program is going to make new recovery disk ,you will have to get them from Toshiba

and as its already been said ,its normal ,during the restore the laptops restart several time before its finished .

Edited by caperjac, 21 September 2012 - 02:43 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Cheers Scott. I will try it and report back. Just to make sure, if there is any malware,viruses they will be removed through the reset and cant be created onto the boot discs.
Also quick question is there a difference between creating a recovery disc and reinstalling Windows?

Caperjac - as far as I know it was only the d drive that completly crashed, and they sent it away to an external company for the repair work. Is there any way I can check?

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Recovery Disk(S) are usually a set of DVDs that will put the laptop back to the same condition as when it was delivered in terms of software and windows and drivers.

Creating them is only the process of the recovery disk maker software putting the files into the proper order and burning them. It does not touch the existing windows.

Cheers
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Rodger. How many discs should it take to complete them?
I might call into the repair shop and see if they had made/got a copy from the previous time.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

My laptops took Four DVDs some take Three. I have seen some create a 2 or 3 DVD recovery as well as a Separate Driver Disk.

Is the software there then, When you start it, It should say how many DVDs you will need as I remember it.

If the shop made them I'll bet they made them for themselves.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

All didnt go to plan Roger. made the discs using the program. Took 2 discs and finished sucessfully. I then restarted the laptop and ran the discs. Came up with Factory Reset, choose language ect and then started to run Command Promopt using the first disc. Came to step 4/8 and asked to insert second media to finished this step so I put in disc 2. Next it said that the other part wasnt available and closed down.

The computer will start as normally but then says BOOTMGN is not available press Ctrl Alt Dlt to restart. I can access my menus by pressing F2 and F12 but F8 wont work which brings up the repairs section.

Where do I go from here. Do I contact Toshiba, Get a Windows OEM disc??

Any help is appreciated.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Well post three has the links to order the disks. Those should work.

Can you try the factory recovery partition? From you said earlier that did work. Or were you accessing that through F8? When You say F8 doesn't work do you mean no boot option or repair option? Do you have a Windows 7 DVD that you can use to run the repair from? What I'd like to try is making the Recovery partition the active boot partition. Sometime that works.

It sounds as if they shop did something funny when they changed the drive.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 September 2012 - 10:02 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Caperjac - as far as I know it was only the d drive that completly crashed, and they sent it away to an external company for the repair work. Is there any way I can check?

just calling it the D: drive ,doesn't mean the same to all of us ,my D: drive isa DVD player /recorder not a harddrive

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users