Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving email folder contents to new email address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

In the near future, my partner and I will be living in separate places of abode.
Therefore, my partners Email address (which is currently managed by Outlook Express), will cease to exist.
I need to arrange something whereby, when she sets up her new email address,the contents of her email folders are able to be transferred to that new email address....
I have this thought in the back of my mind that I can do this with Thunderbird....if I install Thunderbird on her PC, now... and then back up the files and folders using the information here......http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_backup_prof.htm........establish a new email address, when that time comes.....and then restore the Thunderbird files/profile etc, from the backup.
or.....am I just having a daydream....could it be that simple?
Need some input here. I want to be sure I have not missed the bleepin obvious.....I dont want to lose all that she has.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

For what it is worth, I backup My Thunderbird and Firefox with MozBackup http://download.cnet.com/MozBackup/3000-2242_4-10260383.html

As great as it is to have tools such as Firefox and Thunderbird, backing them up can be a tedious process. MozBackup is a tiny program that makes saving and restoring all your bookmarks, extensions, and other personal settings a streamlined and stress-free experience.

The program works with Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Netscape on Windows platforms. It doesn't work with Firefox Portable, Sunbird, Songbird, or Flock, but for standard Windows iterations of the programs in the Mozilla suite, it's almost silly to not use this program.

Close the program you want to back up, then run

I used MozBackup recently to move all my Thunderbird email and settings and Firefox favorites etc. from one computer to another. No problems.

It seems to me that your plan is sound, Import into Thunderbird, Backup, install Thunderbird on new computer and restore everything.

Did I mention you can you can check or uncheck what you want and not backup what you don't want to backup.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 September 2012 - 05:15 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Now that is one nifty little program !!
I have downloaded it and put it in place on my partners PC as well as my own.
Downloaded Thunderbird and then backed it up.....tested it....and all is good.

Thank you for going to the trouble of replying Roger, .....I note that your time is usually taken up with issues of far greater gravity than this.

Kind Regards,
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Glad to have been of help. You did the heavy lifting by thinking about doing it with Thunderbird.

And thanks for reporting back how it went.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users