Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble signing onto my laptop; forgot password

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 doomspider

doomspider

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I haven't signed on to my laptop that I bought from former co-worker of mine (really savvy with computers) in a few months and I've forgotten the password to log-in. There was no animosity between us after the purchase - he ended up quitting and getting a job elsewhere. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 7 Professional. All though, as evidenced from the bottom of the laptop, he did upgrade the OS at one point from Windows Visa but I am not sure which edition it was. I downloaded the Password Reset Wizard via from my parents home computer on to a new/unused USB flash drive. I clicked on the appropriate drive, typed in a new password, typed it again to confirm and typed in the password hint. After doing all of that, this error message came up "An error occurred while the wizard was attempting to set the password for this user account." Did I do something wrong? And at this point, I am stumped. I haven't been able to get in touch with the former co-worker. Should I call Microsoft and ask for them to send me a Windows 7 disk, buy it online (saw the cheapest price on Newegg for $139.99) or should I try a Windows password recovery tool? If so, which one?

If there any other questions that you might have in order to assist me further, please ask.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

7 Free Windows Password Recovery Tools From Tim Fisher

I just typed "Windows password recovery tool" into Google and this is the top answer - Not all are Free but some are -

Use the same method if you wish -

#3 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Use the Ophcrack Password recovery LiveCD (instructions here). I have had success with this in XP.

#4 doomspider

doomspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Is it possible to download a software program on to the home computer (which I've been using) in order to download the Password Reset Wizard on to another USB flash drive so that it will possibly read that its for the laptop and not the home computer? If that's possible, what program should I check out? And if this doesn't work, why? Thanks again.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

@ doomspider -
Please read the details above for Ophcrack Password recovery LiveCD and it shows how to do this -

Thank You -

#6 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Is it possible to download a software program on to the home computer (which I've been using) in order to download the Password Reset Wizard on to another USB flash drive so that it will possibly read that its for the laptop and not the home computer? If that's possible, what program should I check out? And if this doesn't work, why? Thanks again.

The Live CD makes a CD that you boot from on the laptop you wish to crack the password on. You create the CD on another computer, since you obviously cannot use the laptop to do it. So it's made on one computer, but you use it on the laptop.

#7 doomspider

doomspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Use the Ophcrack Password recovery LiveCD (instructions here). I have had success with this in XP.

I did end up trying out both Ophcrack and Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. Ophcrack didn't find any passwords and Offline NT Password & Registry Editor came up with this message. Here is the link to the photo that I took of it:

http://windows7forums.com/attachments/windows-7-support/21291d1349152454-trouble-signing-onto-my-laptop-forgot-password-imag0511.jpg

Any suggestions what I can do next? Thanks.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

This probably is a far out suggestion but it worked for me once at the non-profit organization I volunteer at
Some one had created an admistrative account with a password of their own and had left without anyone knowing it. It was an XP computer not a Win 7
Anyway I booted up into Safe Mode and the Safe Mode Administrator account didn't have a password
I was able delete the user account in question and move on from there without having to use a password recovery program
I hope this helps

#9 samreen

samreen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

hey here is a suggestion which i once did to my computer. once i forgot my password to the windows. i just went to the safe mode entered the windows through there and then following the control panel and removed the password from there ;) and then easily logged onto my windows. if your computer is password protected through setup it can be removed by removing the cell on the mother board.

#10 doomspider

doomspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I tried it again and watched the tutorial video again, the same error message popped up. Did exactly what you suggested. I attached another photo. It entails a message that I got but didn't show up in the tutorial video that I watched. Maybe it will clear things up:

http://windows7forums.com/attachments/windows-7-support/21307d1349239013-trouble-signing-onto-my-laptop-forgot-password-imag0512.jpg

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi -
Read ALL the FAQ, and other site details first so that you know exactly which programs you are trying to crack.
Each site has details on the area of the program that you need to "crack" -

Thanks -

#12 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

This probably is a far out suggestion but it worked for me once at the non-profit organization I volunteer at
Some one had created an admistrative account with a password of their own and had left without anyone knowing it. It was an XP computer not a Win 7
Anyway I booted up into Safe Mode and the Safe Mode Administrator account didn't have a password
I was able delete the user account in question and move on from there without having to use a password recovery program
I hope this helps

Hidden admin accounts are disabled by default in windows 7.

Here's a tutorial that should work with any edition of windows. XP, Vista and 7

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

Edited by luke127, 07 October 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#13 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Of course if you don't have the disk then you can always use the safe mode with command prompt.

#14 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

I hope this helps

Hidden admin accounts are disabled by default in windows 7.

Here's a tutorial that should work with any edition of windows. XP, Vista and 7

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

and if you can't do that then you can do this:

Boot into safe mode with command prompt.

Then type: Net User administrator /active:yes

if it gives you an Error 5 access is denied that's okay. But if it says command completed successfully reboot into normal mode.
There should be an account named administrator. It SHOULD NOT have a password on it. Unless the original owner was smart enough to put one on it. But not many people use it in windows 7 due to its almost non existence.

Anyway you can login using that accout go into the control panel and remove your accout password that way.

#15 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Run a Live Linux cd on the computer that needs the password to be recovered.
Go to the file explorer and open to your harddrive,
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config and copy the SAM and file in it onto a usb.
If possible, attach it to your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users