Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 D Money

D Money

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am looking at starting up my own business in the near future. I am looking for the best way to create a website. I have heard of buying a domain, but I don't believe that would solve my problem. I have heard of people using Microsoft Front Page, but I am unsure if that will work. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have heard of buying a domain, but I don't believe that would solve my problem.

What problem would that be? You certainly do not need a domain to create a website, but you do need one if you want people to be able to get to your website.

I have heard of people using Microsoft Front Page, but I am unsure if that will work.

Work for what? Frontpage is one application that people use to build websites, but there are tons of other applications one can use to create their own website. There are already a few threads around here that may give you some help.

I am not sure if any of that helps any since I am not 100% sure what advice you want.

#3 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

I am starting up a business in pet-sitting. I want to have a website so people can book and pay through the website. I have bought a domain before, but it was only used to link to an existing webpage that was already up and running. So, I did not think that buying a domain would help me.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

If you want a website that handles money, and you don't know what you are doing, then your safest option ( from a liability standpoint ) is to have someone else handle the payment portion, whether it be google shopping cart, or paypal, or bitcoins, whatever. In most cases, they will have an api or that you can access. For example, here is how to add a shopping cart to your website:
https://developers.google.com/checkout/developer/Google_Checkout_Shopping_Cart_Overview

Here are some Wordpress plugins that may be useful if you decide to go that route. http://getshopped.org/

You will need your own domain if you want people to be able to find your website.

If you do not at all know what you are doing, then there are tons of sites you can pay to help set up your website.

#5 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

I was thinking of using paypal or just cash on delivery as the the payment method. My biggest concern was the initial setup of the website.

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I am looking at starting up my own business in the near future. I am looking for the best way to create a website. I have heard of buying a domain, but I don't believe that would solve my problem. I have heard of people using Microsoft Front Page, but I am unsure if that will work. Any suggestions?

That's two entirely different things. You have to buy a domain name if you want people to get to your website. They can't just magically get to it without an address or something. It's like going on vacation you need the hotel address to find it unless you already know where it is, but others won't be able to find it unless they have a way of identifying it against millions of other hotels and places. You can get a free domain name, but they are predefined like sites.google.com/site/yoursite which is by Google Sites which isn't a unique domain name. A Domain Register let you create an exact unique address for you(as long as it's not taken) example somesite.com, somesite.org, somesite.net etc rather which you are the owner and have full control over the DNS records and what not.

Microsoft Front Page is a web development program. You still have to have a place to host it and have it configured to allow people to access your pages.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 23 September 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#7 D Money

D Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thank you all for your help!

#8 madelinekim

madelinekim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Frontpage is best application for web sites design. It is basically very simple and easy to use the frontpage for developing a website. Using it becomes so easy to add certain features. Interface layout is much simpler to understand for beginners.

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have to disagree there, I'm not a huge fan of FrontPage, used it at school, but that's about it, I have found dreamweaver to be much more user friendly (in my opinion).

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Going to close this thread since it is going off topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users