Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Improving Computer(If Possible)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kyle25

kyle25

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hey and thanks for any help,

I've been playing WoW, or world of warcraft, for like a year now. My computer is not enough to handle what is has to offer so i have to put the settings on low as possible and basically disable everything to play, but hey i really like the game and you have to do what you gotta do. I thought if i improved my memory on my computer i could get better performance out of it, but after posting a topic on there website forum and asking around there people have been telling me that putting more RAM in my computer won't do anything to improve the game. Now i would normally take this info and be done with it, but there are alot of trolls and people who will just mess with you on there for the hell of it, so i just want to ask here on a forum i can trust. There saying that my GPU is just not good enough to play wow, although i've been playing for over a year. My question, or questions are: Is is it even worth putting more ram in my computer? Can i put a new GPU in my laptop? Do i need to just realize i need a new laptop and until then i'm screwed? I'm not expecting to go from running the game on the bare minimuim, to running it on the best settings possible, but is there anything that i can do without spending a bunch of money to improve the perfermance?

Computer Specs are
Compaq Presario CQ61
Windows Home Premuim 64 Bit
2.0 GB RAM(1.75 usable)
AMD Sempron™ M120 2.1 GHz
Graphics Card: AMD M880g with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IamRavaged

IamRavaged

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, since you are using a laptop you cannot change your GPU (it may be possible but its no where as easy as swapping out a new GPU on a desktop PC). As it stands right now there's not really much you can do to upgrade your computer. Upgrading your RAM won't help you get better performance while gaming, mainly your because your gaming potential is determined by how powerful your GPU is. The Radeon HD4200 is equivalent to integrated graphics power, its not designed to be used for intense gaming. When the other forum said you can't play LoL its from a subjective point of view, you meet the minimum requirements but you'll just be hitting the bare minimum FPS to play smoothly.

The only thing you can really do is update your GPU drivers and hope for the best.
HTC Sensation: S-OFF | ROOTED | Super CID | | OC 1.5ghz | [InsertCoin 2.5.3|Sensation XE Final|Bricked Kernel|Stable|

#3 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thank you,

EDIT: I found the driver update. Don't think it helped much but thats what you said :) .

Disappointed for the second time :( . But oh well, got t roll with the punches. I'm trying to look for the driver, i think i found it but could you just verify that this is the correct and newest one for my GPU. I don't want to install the wrong thing and screw something up. Does this look right?
http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20HD%204200&By=ATI&SS=Windows%207%2064-bit

I'm looking at the top driver on that page, its from April 2012 and i have never download a new driver for the GPU, and it's 2 or 3 years old so it might make a difference? Although i run the game with everything basically off and things disabled, i'm able to run it decently now, so i'm just looking for ANY improvement i can get without buying a whole new CPU, because that's not happening.

Thanks again

Edited by kyle25, 22 September 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Even as far as laptops go, this isn't quite what I would describe as a "gaming rig". CQ60 series is budget laptop defined. You could try adding some RAM and see if that improves matters any, but I doubt it will go very far in the graphics area.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users