Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lizynguyen

lizynguyen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a netbook for college. I travel from my college and back home (2 hour drive) often. I have a regular laptop but it is so big and inconvenient to constantly carry it home and also to class and back etc.

Usage for Netbook:
Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/ maybe Excel
Playing downloaded lectures for class
Getting onto websites to do homework
Can play some music (would be amazing, but not what the most important thing to use it for)

My Budget is no more than $300 (I know I won't get a fantastic netbook with that price but I just want one so I can use temporarily while I'm away from home).

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks! :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Not a fan of netbook computers. They simply have no power to do even the most simplest of tasks. I have found that over time many people i know in my lasses who purchased one have been upset with it. Another thing to keep in mind would be that you gave yourself a budget of 300 but your going to have to purchase MS Office for 149 3 user home and student of 129 one user home and student and you might get 20 off when you buy it at bestbuy or staples but still that leaves your computer budget under 200. IMHO you get what you pay for.

Maybe look into an ultra book, still small and portable but a lot more power to be able to use as a regular computer.

Also most netbooks are running win 7 starter edition. very very watered down.

Again all of this is IMHO but others may have different opinions and maybe i am just biased against them, but i wont ever but a netbook after my first aspire one.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Check with the school and see if they have a discounted Microsoft office available. No Netbook will come with anything better than Office starter edition (Advertiser supported and no powerpoint) Now discontinued as I uinderstand it, or a trial version of office.

If you can live with the small screen and no DVD drive it may be OK for you, It will be light, and it will be slower than a laptop.

Raise your budget and get a better model too.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

$300 is a tough budget to work with and considering the extra cost for Office, that will always severely limit your option.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

IMHO, look into ultrabooks or chromebooks. I don't personally have any experience with chromebooks, but they have generally the same specs as a netbook in the $300 price range. Ultrabooks are a tad pricier, but you don't have to deal with the weight and bulkiness of a standard laptop.

If $300 includes software, I really hope you have a MS discount through your school. If not, better hop on craigslist.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

MDTechService if you can show where to get a Ultrabook for a tad pricier than a $300 Netbook please let us in on as $350 for a Ultrabook would be a really good price.

Thanks
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Tad may have been a bit of an understatement. That said, eBay and Newegg can have some decent deals :)
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'll agree with Understatement.

And having had the displeasure of opening a couple of the ultra slim notebooks. If they ever need hardware repairs down the road that could be expensive. The Ones I opened up The Keyboard and Touchpad for example are not removable to move to a new top cover. The maker says, replace as they are secured permanently. What Else? I already replaced a screen on a three month old one, He said it just started to crack and got worse. Probably to flexible. The screen was not secured except at the bottom with double sided tape, It was more or less just sitting there, No screws holding the screen assemble together, etc. The screen was fairly expensive and very thin.

The other cracked screen they are going to pressure the maker to fix their cracked screen under warranty, Who knows they may succeed?

Darn shame Microsoft has pulled the starter edition of Office, It was OK and free.

ROger

167 @ June 2015

#9 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I don't particularly care for them myself, but to each his own.

OP - have you considered OpenOffice? It is an open source office solution with essentially all the same functionality of Microsoft Office, except it is free. It can open and save to the same formats, and I have it installed on my work and personal computers.

I <3 Linux

#10 Ryanzirra

Ryanzirra

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

My dad loves his transformer but to get that with the dock your looking at like 450-500 and open office is always an alternative to ms office. The only suggestion I would make is stay away from hp's the number one laptop we see in here dead because of heat or power issues are hp's. Especially lower end budget ones.

#11 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

That isn't specific to HP computer, any of your budget laptops will have a tendency to overheat. They aren't designed for gaming or any intensive applications, and even when using them for movies and web browsing you will eventually encounter thermal problems.

I <3 Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users