Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Will not Installed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mattdean

mattdean

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Problem: When trying to install Windows Xp Pro onto a POS System machine from Pro-tech Systems, the new install blue screens with Windows Stop Code 7B.

Things I have tried: replacing the drive, using a different cds, reset BIOS, Check compasitors on Motherboard, Re-seated memory, ran PC Diagnostics on all hardware;all passed, reload drives,ran chkdsk on both original and replaced drives; both pass, tried to install a copy of vista and 7 pro, both installed properly, only problem is the machine does not have any drives for those OS's.

Any ideas of how to resolve the Windows Stop Code 7b when reloading XP Pro?

Many Thanks,
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

<<...tried to install a copy of vista and 7 pro, both installed properly, only problem is the machine does not have any drives for those OS's>>

<<When trying to install Windows Xp Pro onto a POS System machine from Pro-tech Systems, the new install blue screens with Windows Stop Code 7B.>>

If you tried to install XP after Vista and Win 7...the easiest way to overcome that is to just install XP first (because it's older), then Vista, then Win 7.

As for drivers...the easist thing to do would be to contact Pro-Tech and inquire about driver support, if the drivers loaded with each O/S do not do the job.

http://www.protech-pos.com/pos/index.asp

Louis

#3 mattdean

mattdean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thank you for your response.

eI am overall trying to load XP Pro. I only used win vista and 7 as test to see if it was the hardware or something to do with Xp OS and the cd's. I have contacted Pro-Tech Systems. There are not win vista or 7 drivers even available for this model of pos terminal.

Is their any thing you can think of that could be causing the blue screen?

Matt

Edited by mattdean, 20 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Not me :).

It makes no logical sense for other versions of Windows to install...but XP balks.

Points to the media, IMO.

You are installing on a clean hard drive, correct?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/5231-45-error-install

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm , you might try #8 and #10.

Louis

#5 mattdean

mattdean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Yes, One was the original and I got XP Pro loaded on it but the key is volume license so of course it did not registrar or validate. Used a change of key to force it and now it will not allow service packs to install. It blue screens when you try a clean install. Got another IDE hard drive out, booted it up, formatted it. Ran chkdsk and then tried to clean install XP PRO. No Joy, just a bsod again. I have tried 3 different xp disks.

#8 the hard drive is already IDE and bios sees it IDE.

#10 I have ran chkdsk /f on both drives and Pc Doctor Diagnostics. Neither discovered any problems.

Also, the tomshardware post i have already attempted the reset bios and upgrade it.

Matt

Edited by mattdean, 20 September 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

It makes no logical sense for other versions of Windows to install...but XP balks.

Its most certainly the RAID/AHCI problem Windows Vista and 7 have full support for that, XP no.

If the BIOS don't allow you to change to IDE mode you will need the specific drive for the IDE/SATA controller, if the POS includes a floppy drive you can use the F6 key to load the driver when the setup start.

The floppy disk need to be download specifically or created following the instructions included on the windows driver for the controller you have.

If you don't have a floppy drive then you have to update the Windows XP CD to include the needed driver.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

<<One was the original and I got XP Pro loaded on it but the key is volume license so of course it did not registrar or validate. Used a change of key to force it and now it will not allow service packs to install. It blue screens when you try a clean install. Got another IDE hard drive out, booted it up, formatted it. Ran chkdsk and then tried to clean install XP PRO. No Joy, just a bsod again. I have tried 3 different xp disks.>>

As I read and interpret those words...it occurs to me that you may be trying to install XP from some media other than a Genuine XP CD. That will never work. Recovery disks and disks from OEMs...and disks prepared from illegal downloads...all have their own limitations/risks inherent in trying to use them.

Louis

#8 mattdean

mattdean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I understand. I will do some research one the disks and see what i can come up with.
Thank you for all your help its greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

#9 mattdean

mattdean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Its most certainly the RAID/AHCI problem Windows Vista and 7 have full support for that, XP no.

If the BIOS don't allow you to change to IDE mode you will need the specific drive for the IDE/SATA controller, if the POS includes a floppy drive you can use the F6 key to load the driver when the setup start.

The floppy disk need to be download specifically or created following the instructions included on the windows driver for the controller you have.

If you don't have a floppy drive then you have to update the Windows XP CD to include the needed driver.

SleepyDude thank you so much for your post. Let me look into that and i will get back with you. This is something i have not tried yet.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I agree with sleepydude. Most likely there is a driver needed to access some hardware most likely the drive controller. Slipstream a disk using nlite and add the drivers as txt mode drives so they will be loaded during the setup proceedure.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users