Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ahead "incd" Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hello folks,

Any idea why I get intermittent error messages that say

Title: InCd
"Unable to connect to file system - Service not running"

every now and then?

As Enthusiast, USASMA and Albert Frankenstein will testify, this is a problem that may be part of a whole suite of problems which I am trying to erradicate and determine if the cause is viral, SP2 compatibility, more sinister or just plain stoopidity on my part.

I do have an SP2 patch from Ahead software's site which I tried to no avail.

Case Study
I tried to burn an iso disc earlier and Nero StartSmart wouldn't enable the "Next" button to commence the burn. I noticed on looking harder that my CDRW drive was "in use" and had a little red x next to the unit name in StartSmart. There were no other apps using the drive and InCd had displayed the window after the disc had been read and had been closed...I clicked options and the dialogue showed that the cd burning drive was still in use and did not display any info about the disc or the drive, but after a few seconds the drive became available and I could burn successfully.

1. Why is this error occuring intermittently (even after installing the InCD update) - The misconnection to the file system error that is.

2.Why does Nero state that the drive is in use when its not?

3. Why does InCD take longer than other applications to unload when logging off - (The End now window appears a few seconds after clicking log off)

4. I have ran checks with all the suggested anti-malware and anti-virus programs and nothing was found.

5. I fear I may have incompatible memory installed, although memtest found no errors with the module itself..that was earlier today.

I welcome all responses and thank you all in depth for your help and insight.
Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

What memory do you have installed and what does your motherboard support?

If you need info on your system download Everest version 1.51 (the last full feature freeware version) from oldversion.com

Tell us the make and model number of your motherboard and what the installed memory is. (Everest should tell you both those things).

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

Hi there,

I had a similar problem with InCD. Previous to a new instalation of a DVD drive, I used Sonic and it's equivalant to InCD. During the installation of the new Nero software, it prompted me to uninstall the Sonic version, because it would interfere with the operation of the newly installed Nero software.

I proceeded normally and updated after the installation was completed. I had similar problems to yours like InCD claiming the drive was occupied and also the "End Now" prompt at shut-down.

What fixed the problem for me was uninstalling the old Sonic software (which I never used anymore anyway), and Uninstalling the Nero software and Reinstalling it. Sometimes this can be a pain in the rear, but many times it does the trick. I have since had no other problems with Nero.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

NOSNHOJ #3 & Enthusiast

Thank you for your responses.

For Enthusiast's response:
From the mobo section of everest home ed;

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 3000

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.dell.com
BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

Memory installed reported:
Module Name SpecTek
Serial Number 4C003FF3h
Manufacture Date Week 2 / 2003
Module Size 512 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us)

Memory Timings
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Micron Technology, Inc.
Product Information http://www.spectek.com/menus/memory_module.asp

According to Dell Dim3k system documentation:
MemoryType
333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

NOTE: DDR 333 memory runs at 320MHz when configured with Pentium 4 800 MHz FSB processors - this applies to me

Memory connectors
two

Memory capacities
128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC

Minimum memory
128 MB

Maximum memory
2 GB

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

NOSNHOJ#3

I did uninstall and reload inCD and it does keep happening unfortunatly. It never done this before and I am having trouble with other parts of Win XP also. By the appearance of memory report above it looks like my mem is compatible but I feel its cheap and nasty which is why I'm getting probs here and there. That said I may well re-install windows this time using killdisk prior to the re-installation to make sure any problems I was having with infection when I originally re-installed are erradicated properly.

I never knew about the killdisk utility so I was thinking deleting the partition and re-installing would be enough. I was advised by Albert Frankenstein that infections can overcome a simple partition format and hence still cause probs even with an new installation..which is what I am finding...minor embuggerances..I like everything to work even if I'm not going to use it so much or at all for that matter..its a principal thing I suppose.

I'll let you know what happens when I re-install.

BTW guys..if there were bad sectors found on the HDD, would formatting repair the bad sectors or are those bad sectors actual physical disk damage that are blocked permanently from being used?..I dont have any bad sectors from what I can gather but was curious to know..and what causes bad sectors in the first place. My educated guess is power cuts during writing of the HDD or hard booting while the HDD is busy?

Thanks for all your responses.
Darren

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

If your memory passed the memory tests it is probably good.

InCD and NEro have had problems running under Win XP.

Go to Microsoft.com and type in InCD in the search box. It will come up with numerous results. Look through them for the fix for your problem.

Example:
Nero 7 & AntiVirus Scan Don't Mix (Any Work Arounds)
http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?m...ng=en-US&q=incd

What other problems are you having with Windows. They could be related.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 March 2006 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thank you for your reply..

I know its not reccommended to post multiple probs in a thread due to confusion and fragmented replies, but I hope you dont mind in this case.

Based on what you have said, I remember loading spybot and its tea-timer but after doing so, I found that the resident portion of Spybot (tea timer) seemed to be holding everything up and was causing pile ups and lags, which inspired me to uninstall it.
I'm having browser problems such as linking to the MLS via a shortcut (we never had a problem before now we get , pages not loading like they used to and error on page messages.)
The system is still a bit slower than I'm used to although not depressingly slow, more like noticable differences. The reason I pointed at the memory is because everthing started going wrong after we installed the new chip.

Then InCD started throwing in its 2 cents as described above, with a kick or two in the ribs by Users not being able to be moved to different groups (I get a message that the group could not be found) then another message that <location-computer name/user could not be changed>.

Its these little probs that seem to be upsetting us right now...more so problems with pages loading with errors. I installed our middlesex mls under administrator yesterday due to need for activeX control installation. When I switched user to open the same mls under a lower grade user, the page still loaded with errors but loaded fine under administrator. I thought that installing active-X controls would be universal across all users?

Thanks for your advice and input
Darren

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

Try taking the additional memory chip out - and see if that clears up any of the problems you are having.

Try the Microsoft memory test if you haven't done so:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Teatimer is real time protection against malware, and should not slow anything down once you have either given or denied permissions for what it finds (and popsup on screen). One problem though, is that you may have denied permissions for necessary functions. I don't know if uninstalling it also deleted the files it was blocking or not. I use it with no adverse affects.

#9 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:09 PM

Dear Enthusiast,

There are no additional memory chips...just one 512MB module. I had kingston memory before and none of these problems occurred (apart from the Windows User group, control userpassword2 and usergroups probs which I cannot honestly say either way as I only recently started using them as part of self-paced training)

I had a feeling that tea timer wasnt responsible as if it was there would be more complaints about it on this forum and everyone seems to reccomend spybot S&D.

Let me run the tests as you advise and I'll get back to you.
Thanks for your help as always.
Darren

#10 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Enthusiast,

BTW if memtest could not find a problem, is it still reccommended to run the MS memory diag tool anyway?

Thanks
Darren

#11 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

Dear All,

I feel I can close this topic now. Thank you for all your help and attention to the matter,

I actually uninstalled InCD again as suggested then re-installed using the patch from the nero site rather than from the original CD before the patch as i had done previously (I didnt think the patch would work without the original program)

For now it seems sorted out but if the problem returns I'll let you all know.

Thanks again for the help,
Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users