Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User unable to access fileserver by name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VayaConQueso

VayaConQueso

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm rather at a loss on this one.

I have a user running Windows 7 Pro on her laptop, attempting to access the shares on a local fileserver. She is able to access the fileserver fine via IP, but attempting to UNC to it by name results in a message stating "Access is denied". The name resolves fine (I can ping it by name without a problem), and any other users on that machine can access the fileserver without issue. If I have that same user log on to another machine, she can access the fileserver without issue as well, so it seems to be tied to her particular workstation.

The user in question is a domain user, both workstations are Windows 7 Pro, and the fileserver is 2008 R2.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to NT - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VayaConQueso

VayaConQueso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Slight update - I did a system restore to the period before the issue started occuring, unjoined the workstation from the domain, renamed it, and then rejoined the domain. I also reset the user's password both locally and at the DC.

At this point, the error I'm getting has changed slightly - now it says the User name could not be found.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi, have you tried logging the user on from another PC? Check the event logs for errors.
MCP
MSDST

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I wouls say since it is tied to only the one user that somehow the local profile information stored on that computer is corrupted. Backup any information se has on that computer and then delete her as a user and any files relayed to her on that workstation. Then recreate a new user profile for her on that machine.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users