Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual channel, tripple channel memory?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

So I am ordering a tripple channel mobo with dual channel ram. I am starting out with just two sticks (2x 4GB) but I plan on ordering another 2 kits to fill all the memory slots on this board in time.

My question: When I am running this board with only two sticks, I assume it will scale back to dual channel on the mobo, but will it scale upwards when I have all 6 sticks in to tripple channel when I get the other two kits? The ram is labeled as dual channel and I have no idea if that would be a bottle neck and I need ram that has a controller specifically able for tripple channel?

Also, I just noticed on the board that their is a 4 pin molex connecter? What is that all about?

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131715

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 20 September 2012 - 11:05 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

The manual calls the 4 pin a EZ Plug and searching the PDF of the manual that is all it shows. Location & Standard voltages from a 4 pin Molex for it.

The Dual channel memory will work if you follow the manual for where to put the memory.

When I used a similar ASUS Mother a couple of years ago I just ordered triple channel memory for it.

Is there a reason for ordering this older model?

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

That extra molex is for feeding the PCI-E slots directly from the PSU instead of using the board's power planes. Very useful if you are running multiple cards in SLI/Crossfire.

And I have to ask the same questions as above? Why a Socket 1366 build now, and why not just get a 3 channel setup now if you are going to build this?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users