Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invasive downloads

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 misterfish!

misterfish!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Having recently had to re-install windows and applications, and reload all my recovered files, I was not best pleased when a fresh download of Adobe Reader went wrong. Adobe's own site wouldn't work at the time so I tried another download site (can't remember which)and although I unticked all the "download this and that" boxes, I ended up with Whitesmoke, Conduit and Chrome. Chrome was easy to remove but annoying (such an insidious programme)as the last time it installed itself it took over loads of file associations.

Conduit kept re-appearing and I couldn't find a trace of Whitesmoke which was well hidden, so I resorted to 2duck to find forums handling these sorts of problems. I must have looked up a good dozen before I found bleepingcomputer (liked the name!) and found you people really know what's what. Following your advice, I downloaded (with some trepidation) and ran adwcleaner.exe and Hitmanpro. Adwcleaner found tons of Whitesmoke references, which it removed, and hitmanpro (I believe) must have removed some Conduit stuff, although I found an empty Conduit directory afterwards. Neither has re-appeared so thank you all for your help.

For those who may be reading this who are involved in developing and spreading this sort of crud, if you are doing it for gain, go get yourself a proper job as you must have some talent in software. If you are just doing it for the hell of it, grow up and stop being such bleeps (or may you contract some horrible and painful blisters upon your private parts).

Nice to have joined you, and many thanks for the help you offer.

Misterfish!

PS 2duck is duckduckgo.com,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Happy to read that BC was helpful in your quest to clean up the gunk on your hard drive.
Thanks for joining and welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users