Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

converting from a basic disc to dynamic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have been reading up on it from microsofts site as well as various places throughout the web. most articles were also a few years old might have been before windows 7 was even released.
from what I understand
you will only really have an issue if you are using windows 98, 2000 , xp and server 2003

What I am trying to do is make a partition but the only way to do it so it seems (I am using the admin disk management tool)is to convert to dynamic.
I am creating the partition to install a small linux distro to use in dual boot but the part that is making me weary is the last step of the disk management tool says

"the operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disc(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)(except the current boot volume. Are you sure you want to continue?"

now I will (hopefully) never have to deal with those headaches called OS's again. So would I have any negative impact from this conversion? would i still be able to boot windows 7 with all of my data still intact?

I have a HP pavillion DV7
AMD 3600m quad core processor
6 gigs ram
running windows 7 home premium 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

FWIW:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731274.aspx

I don't know much about dynamic disks, cannot tell you the pluses/minuses.

Louis

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'm not so much concerned with the pluses and minuses as I'm pretty sure the conversion is the only way for me to do this dual boot. what I am concerned with is accepting the conversion and then not being able to boot windows/ having to do a fresh install. I have no possible way to back up all of my data.

#4 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

got a buddy to lend me a nice big hard drive to back up on. I think I'm going to try this tonight. plans changed too I want to triple boot win7 BT5R2 and win 8....I may just have a geekasm

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Nice work :).

If you are doing clean installs and things go awry...no loss of anything other than time.

If valued data is on the hard drive, just be sure to back up before the experimentation...and I tend to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic before deciding to install an O/S.

Louis

#6 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

any certain program for hard drive diagnostics? its going to take some time to back all this up but I'll let you know how it goes.

I got delayed after my laptop battery committed suicide... worked 100% 2 days ago, yesterday absolutely dead.... after an infuriating 2 hours with tech support proving to me that they are a bunch of idiots that are trained to blindly follow the HP support assistant battery check, they have no idea how it actually works but they are trained if it says its bad then there are no if ands or buts about it the battery is bad.

2 "well trained technicians", 2 blatant disconnections, and a clueless manager later they can't explain to me how a battery goes from absolutely fine getting full charge and battery life to showing a 75% charge but not powering the laptop at all without a power adapter ....and im still paying for this out of pocket

dear HP,
choice words
sincerely mike
PS choice words

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

I would use the utility set forth...by the respective hard drive manufacturer. If it's a Seagate drive, I'd use the Seagate utility, and so on.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Some OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.) also provide hard drive diagnostic utilities that can be used with confidence.

Louis

#8 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

converted to dynamic disc last night. No data loss, windows is fine, able to make my partitions it all seems hunky doory. ......now just to get BT5 to play nicely but i'm using backtracks forum for help there. just one headache after another with this computer lately.

thanks for your insight louis

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users