Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Windows Explorer Hanging Up System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have two problems dealing with Windows Explorer on my 32/64 bit microsoft MSI Laptop. I use Firefox browser not Windows Explorer which keeps getting involved/active anyway I guess.

Whenever I try to use the search feature (for the computer not the internet) the computer gets hungup and says Windows Explorer is not responding what do I want to do so I select Stop Program and it usually does stop but once or twice had to shut it down.

Don't know why this is happening and if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

So - I figured to just remove Windows Explorer but I can't find it anywhere on my computer. On two separate methods to remove it Windows Explorer is not on the list and if I go into search looking for it I get hung up SPINNING WHEEL AGAIN.

Which is interesting because I have the same problem for different reasons I guess right now on my Apple Snow Leopard too so I'm having a special I guess on SPINNING WHEELS. I forget who did that song back in the 70s but maybe I should look it up.

HELP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

So - I figured to just remove Windows Explorer

I hope you have not attempted to remove Windows Explorer, and you mean Internet Explorer.
Windows Explorer is how you find things inside your Windows Operating System and you will have removed a vital part of the system !!!
Windows Explorer is the default internal way into your system to search for items that are installed -

If you have done this, you are (at the very least) looking at a Repair install or a Full Reinstall
Do you have any Restore Points that you can use to reinstall this ??

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Whenever I try to use the search feature (for the computer not the internet) the computer gets hungup and says Windows Explorer is not responding what do I want to do so I select Stop Program and it usually does stop but once or twice had to shut it down.

Does explorer crash only while using search feature?

Download

mini toolbox

Checkmark following boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs

Click Go and post the result.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

So - I figured to just remove Windows Explorer

I hope you have not attempted to remove Windows Explorer, and you mean Internet Explorer.
Windows Explorer is how you find things inside your Windows Operating System and you will have removed a vital part of the system !!!
Windows Explorer is the default internal way into your system to search for items that are installed -

If you have done this, you are (at the very least) looking at a Repair install or a Full Reinstall
Do you have any Restore Points that you can use to reinstall this ??

Yes, I did mean INTERNET EXPLORER thank you. But thank you for pointing out that removing Windows Explorer would be a mistake! But why would Internet Explorer not be included anywhere in my list of applications I wonder? Maybe I should just try downloading a new copy.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Does explorer crash only while using search feature?

Download

mini toolbox

Checkmark following boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs

Click Go and post the result.

For some reason I cannot seem to download the MiniToolbox even though I tried the alternate method as well? :blink:

It has crashed a couple of other times and I cannot figure out quite what is causing it but it seems to have started whenever my touch pad gets reactivated (not by me it just happens) and when it does somehow I end up typing not where I was or meant to be somewhere else - I'm not aware its happening so i'm not looking at the screen when it does and that's why I just know it was not typing on screen but somewhere if that makes any sense I hope so? I used to be able to "turn off" the touch pad with Fn F3 but now it only works for a while and then comes back again. I tried to disable it but the only thing I can find is for the mouse - cannot find touch pad anywhere to deactivate? I do not like having touch pad active because it invariably messes something up - erases what I'm typing and I wish I could find, surely there must be a deactivate in device control but if so it eludes me.

Thanks for responding with your suggestions/info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users