Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Snow Leopard Fails

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Using my Snow Leopard Desktop today (it was on sleep) did not properly boot up and never got past that hateful swirling wheel thing. Tried restarting to no avail.

I have the OS DISK but cannot remember how to start using the disk. Also I'd rather not reformat without trying other recovery - so I just want to start it for now with the disk not reformat..

And also does anyone have any idea why it's "stuck"?

I have a Windows 7 laptop too and haven't had to do much with the Apple so I have forgotten what the remedies might be?

Edited by kcsummer, 19 September 2012 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

How to Boot Snow Leopard from a DVD-ROM - For Dummies

Just a bit from the link above:
  • Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the DVD drive.

If your Mac uses a tray to hold the DVD, make sure that it retracts and that the disc is in.

If you have a tray-loading DVD-ROM drive and itís closed, you can get it to open by restarting (or starting up) your Mac while pressing the mouse button. Continue pressing until the drive tray pops out; then release.
  • Shut down or restart your Mac.

If you shut it down, wait a few seconds and then start it up the usual way.
  • Press and hold down the C key immediately, and keep it pressed until your Mac either boots from the DVD or doesnít.

If it does boot from the DVD-ROM, you see a Welcome screen.

If it doesnít boot, you see a prohibitory sign, spinning-wheel-of-death, or kernel panic alert. . . anything but the first screen of the Mac OS X Installer, the login window, or the Finder. Any of those is your cue to try Step 4.
  • If your Mac doesnít boot after Step 3, hold down the Option key while booting to display the built-in Startup Manager.
Go to website in link above for more info.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Troubleshooting system sleep in OS X

Troubleshooting Startup and Login Items

Scroll down to 1. Check SMART Diagnostics for instructions on Repairing Disk with Disk Utility that's in the install dvd.
Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions/responses. I shall try them and see where it takes me. Hopefully I'll get it worked out shortly. I have been in the panic mode thing once but it was a bit different than this time. We shall see! Thanks again. :thumbup2:

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh just an update - haven't had time to DELVE DEEPLY into this but now weekend is coming. Today I turned my Mac Desktop on and eventually everything showed up but when I tried to use it the little spinning crazy wheel that makes me crazy too was all I got - it said that a program or whatever word it used was not responding and did I want to turn it off and i was gonna say yes but it prevented me from doing anything other than just enjoying the spinning wheel show. Do not know what's up with that but I am going to try to get into it this evening so if anyone else has had such a problem or whatever and wants to share. I'm gonna see what I can do tonight, read over the links for info you guys left here and see where I end up! Hopefully not the loony bin. :crazy::wink:

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Oh just an update - haven't had time to DELVE DEEPLY into this but now weekend is coming. Today I turned my Mac Desktop on and eventually everything showed up but when I tried to use it the little spinning crazy wheel that makes me crazy too was all I got - it said that a program or whatever word it used was not responding and did I want to turn it off and i was gonna say yes but it prevented me from doing anything other than just enjoying the spinning wheel show. Do not know what's up with that but I am going to try to get into it this evening so if anyone else has had such a problem or whatever and wants to share. I'm gonna see what I can do tonight, read over the links for info you guys left here and see where I end up! Hopefully not the loony bin. :crazy::wink:

While your Mac is on, launch Disk Utility > choose the top level disc to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive. If it isn't "Verified", back up your data because the drive is failing.
You could also Verify Disk with DU to see if there are any errors that need to be repaired.
Activity Monitor will show which process is causing the spinning wheel on your Mac. You can also Force Quit a process/app from the Quit Process button in Activity Monitor.
How much RAM and hard drive space does your Mac have?

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

If your Mac uses a tray to hold the DVD, make sure that it retracts and that the disc is in.

If you have a tray-loading DVD-ROM drive and it's closed, you can get it to open by restarting (or starting up) your Mac while pressing the mouse button. Continue pressing until the drive tray pops out; then release.

• Press and hold down the C key immediately, and keep it pressed until your Mac either boots from the DVD or doesn't.

If it doesn't boot, you see a prohibitory sign, spinning-wheel-of-death, or kernel panic alert. . . anything but the first screen of the Mac OS X Installer, the login window, or the Finder. Any of those is your cue to try Step 4.
  • If your Mac doesn't boot after Step 3, hold down the Option key while booting to display the built-in Startup Manager.

I thought that I had turned the computer off the last time I used it but apparently not as it was on and my regular screen came up with me logged onto the net through Firefox but when I tried to use the computer it went into the spinning wheel thing.

So I shut it down and waited a minute or so and with the install disk inserted I started the computer and also held down the C key.

Eventually it came up with whether or not to use English as my main language and it was highlighted so I clicked NEXT AND NOW IT IS AT THE SET UP installation of Snow Leopard. it says it will install Snow Leopard unless I select customize.and now Essential Software is automatically defaulted/hhighlighted and printer support, additional fonts, language translatioins and x11 are checked so I left them that way and selected restore defaults. I guess I could have unchecked the four items above but since that's the way the computer selected I left it as is. Then I said "ok" and the only option was Install OSX. So I did and I hope it is not going to do a total install because there are things not backed up. We shall see. I'm now waiting to see what happens when it finishes installing Mac OS X on the disk "McIntosh HD"

Well now it says installing Mac OS X time remaining: about 46 minutes which seems like a long time to me for not the whole disk so I have the feeling that whether I wanted to or not I am wiping out and reinstalling the whole thing.

WHATEVER I GUESS? The "die", as they say, is cast.:mellow:

Edited by kcsummer, 23 September 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

While your Mac is on, launch Disk Utility > choose the top level disc to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive. If it isn't "Verified", back up your data because the drive is failing.
You could also Verify Disk with DU to see if there are any errors that need to be repaired.
Activity Monitor will show which process is causing the spinning wheel on your Mac. You can also Force Quit a process/app from the Quit Process button in Activity Monitor.

I haven't gotten far enough along to answer your questions until I restore my computer to a usable state and take this a little further along so I can get the answers you seek. but, if I have indeed, as I fear, wiped out my entire system will any of this matter? I'm hoping I am wrong about how much of the system is going to survive with all my information intact.

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

If you have a tray-loading DVD-ROM drive and it's closed, you can get it to open by restarting (or starting up) your Mac while pressing the mouse button. Continue pressing until the drive tray pops out; then release.

• Press and hold down the C key immediately, and keep it pressed until your Mac either boots from the DVD or doesn't.

If it doesn't boot, you see a prohibitory sign, spinning-wheel-of-death, or kernel panic alert. . . anything but the first screen of the Mac OS X Installer, the login window, or the Finder. Any of those is your cue to try Step 4.
  • If your Mac doesn't boot after Step 3, hold down the Option key while booting to display the built-in Startup Manager.

So well I did the Disk Install which i hoped was not the entire system and it said about 45 minutes to install. Well i just went to check on what's happening and it says installing and it says something like 2 hours 30 minutes to install which has to be the entire system which I did not select and how did it get from 45 minutes to install to when I went back nearly 3 hours?

I guess I am screwed as to what was on it, apparently it is still installing stuff several hours later?

Time will tell IF its repaired and what's left but I figure probably everything I had on my computer is zapped. Progress report later! :woot: But I just can't figure out how without me touching it I got from 46 minutes to install to nearly 3 hours? Its a mystery to me! :dance:

Edited by kcsummer, 23 September 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

I haven't gotten far enough along to answer your questions until I restore my computer to a usable state and take this a little further along so I can get the answers you seek. but, if I have indeed, as I fear, wiped out my entire system will any of this matter? I'm hoping I am wrong about how much of the system is going to survive with all my information intact.

If you didn't choose the Archive and Install option then all your data is being erased.

#11 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you didn't choose the Archive and Install option then all your data is being erased.

I did not see any archive and install option.

About an hour ago I went to check my computer and it said it was through installing and I should restart my computer which I did but ten minutes later it was still nothing more than the spinning wheel and that's all. I'm going to go check again I guess.:blink:

Oh, well, after all that "45 minutes" install and the other almost 3 hour thing my screen is back up with a screen that says: choose application.

But I can do nothing because it is still locked up with the spinning wheel and the mouse has no control and there is no way to select anything.

So basically nothing has changed except that I now have a screen that says choose application which I believe has something to do with the option I selected which was to do a selective install instead of the whole thing, I forget the actual terminology. But why if that is the case did I have the two install periods of nearly 4 hours just to arrive at this point?

Went back in and the spinning wheel had stopped and there was a message saying about a program not responding and did I want to stop the script. When I (of course) tried to choose yes stop script - the spinning wheel was back and I had no way to make the choice on screen. Some script is still running and I do not know how to stop it and I do not know what my computer has been doing all this time since nothing has changed basically?:wacko:

Edited by kcsummer, 24 September 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I've never encountered what your seeing but, a fresh install of OSX shouldn't be like that unless, maybe, the hard drive is heading south.
I would try booting into Safe Mode to see if that would help any. If not, then use Disk Utility that's in the supplied DVD to verify the disk, and use the Repair Disk feature if any error shows up. You'll find Disk Utility in the Utilities menu in the Install DVD after selecting the language option. If there are any errors that can't be repaired by DU use Disk Warrior if you have it. My last suggestion would be reformat the drive and install OSX again but, it might not help IF the drive is failing.

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've never encountered what your seeing but, a fresh install of OSX shouldn't be like that unless, maybe, the hard drive is heading south.
I would try booting into Safe Mode to see if that would help any. If not, then use Disk Utility that's in the supplied DVD to verify the disk, and use the Repair Disk feature if any error shows up. You'll find Disk Utility in the Utilities menu in the Install DVD after selecting the language option. If there are any errors that can't be repaired by DU use Disk Warrior if you have it. My last suggestion would be reformat the drive and install OSX again but, it might not help IF the drive is failing.

Where do I find the Archive and Install function? I did not notice and/or see that when I was using the system disk? I may try that again. Do you recall where in the process I can find it? thanks. :o

#14 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting tips I posted earlier?

#15 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting tips I posted earlier?

No because I cannot do anything with the computer. I cannot type anything or use the mouse. I cannot shut down the program that is "not responding".

Maybe you gave me some info I have missed where that isn't necessary but anyway, I think I will try the install again but I need to know where the "archive and install" option is because I have not seen that option.

I will say that just a couple days ago I did use the disk utility and it checked out ok then.

I will look again at the suggestions you sent while I'm on my laptop but I don't see how I can do anything the way it stands which is why I will try the install again.

I have limited funds to buy any new software. It seems to me that Apple has all sorts of programs to help and/or increase productivity etc but they are all very costly. Thanks again.

Edited by kcsummer, 25 September 2012 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users