Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Antivirus Update Causes Problems for Home and Enterprise Customers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

A buggy update released Friday by security vendor McAfee for its consumer and enterprise antivirus products, left the computers of its customers unprotected and, in some cases, unable to access the Internet.

The incident affected both home and business users, some of whom were still trying to sort out the problems caused by the updates on Monday and Tuesday, according to messages posted on McAfee's community forums and Facebook page.

The problems were introduced by McAfee updates DAT 6807, released on Friday, and the subsequent DAT 6808, depending on which product was used.

After installing these updates some home users started encountering errors when accessing the McAfee Security Center console, which prevented them from performing any action inside the program. Other users experienced a loss of Internet connection on their computers.

More at the link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/261165/mcafee_antivirus_update_causes_problems_for_home_and_enterprise_customers.html

I am seeing a lot of computers with Mcafee on them with this error. Even though this is a month old there is a lot of computers with this problem still.

If you have Mcafee and you do or do not have this issue, please contact Mcafee just to make sure there is no other issue. There is a fix reguardless if you have this problem or not.

Here is Mcafee's Bulletin on the issue: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

EDITED TO INCLUDE MCAFEE'S BULLETIN

Edited by herg62123, 19 September 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

I had a problem with McAfee about a month ago. If I remember correctly the updater service would run for a couple of hours at a time.CPU would be stuck at 13%.I read up of fixes but before I could try them I had to shut down for a weekend. The next week I realized that things had got back to normal. Seems that McAfee must have released a fix that took care of the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users